Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Gunsmith for full build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Gunsmith for full build

Hi Cowboy,

Hi Cowboy, I was under the interpretation that the only thing that legally had to be on any rifle was the serial number? Can you give me a URL or something so I can read in to this a little bit please?

Thanks,
-Rip
Old 08-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/m...variances.html

If you were just having a rebarrel job on a existing rifle you may only need cartrige markings.

If a dealer/ gunsmith builds a rifle on a custom action for you he is engaged in manufacturing even though he may fall under the gunsmiths exemption, (depending on interpetation) and only hold a dealer gunsmith licence. Thus requiring gunsmith markings.

I hold both and would as a manf. be required to put my name on it.

Last edited by Coyboy; 08-26-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Bronze Member

PM comming your way shortly Cowboy.

-Rip
Old 08-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Bronze Member

Rip,

I can highly recommend Jim See at Center Shot Rifles with great confidence. He built a custom for me and it turn out spectacular. He lives and eats his job and you won't be disapointed in the bug hole performance of his custom rifles. He's done other accuracy work on all my rifles with wonderful results in increased performance. I'll be having Jim build another custom for me in the near future, just have to put a component list together and see if he can squeeze me in.

Jim B

Pewaukee, WI
Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 PM
SPONSOR

Ripper,

I own Thoroughbred Rifles LLC and we build full custom rifles on our own receiver that is manufactured for us to our spec by Stiller Precision. We have our model name (Thoroughbred), our company name and location (Thoroughbred Rifles LLC, Frisco, TX) and the serial number on the left side of the action just like every other manufacturer is required to do (Remington, Winchester, Browning, Sako, Weatherby, etc). I think you are probably referring to stamping the barrel which many gunsmiths do when they do a build from components as required by the BATF rules.

I've seen Jim See's work and would highly recommend him for assembling a custom build with your components. Really good guy.

Good Hunting
Dale Troutt