Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Gun Smithing Career

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Gun Smithing Career

I have some contacts up here in Michigan and there have been a lot of shops closing up here. Their used lathe's sell at auction. Drop me a PM if you want me to dig up some contacts. Shipping would be a bunch, and the lathes up here might be too big for starting out.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
I have some contacts up here in Michigan and there have been a lot of shops closing up here. Their used lathe's sell at auction. Drop me a PM if you want me to dig up some contacts. Shipping would be a bunch, and the lathes up here might be too big for starting out.

AJ
Thanks AJ. It will probably be a while before I buy. We have the same thing going on down here. One of my local steel supplies has shut down their machine shop. They have alot of mills and lathes just sitting there. The problem for me right now is that I do not have adequate knowledge to make a good buy. I'm working on that! Supposedly that is part of the course work.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

I have completed the whole course from AGI and I am now gunsmithing on the side for extra money. The courses are great and you will enjoy them. I was fortunate enough to have enough of my own guns to work on while studying. If you do not I would strongly recommend getting some from friends so that you can follow along. This will make the courses much more beneficial and fun. As far as machines, watch the videos first and then shop. This will keep you from buying the wrong kind. I have been a machinist for 25 years so I was already up on that part but the video is quite good. If you need any help along the way let me know and I will be more than happy to offer my opinions.
Good luck
Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtaylor View Post
I have completed the whole course from AGI and I am now gunsmithing on the side for extra money. The courses are great and you will enjoy them. I was fortunate enough to have enough of my own guns to work on while studying. If you do not I would strongly recommend getting some from friends so that you can follow along. This will make the courses much more beneficial and fun. As far as machines, watch the videos first and then shop. This will keep you from buying the wrong kind. I have been a machinist for 25 years so I was already up on that part but the video is quite good. If you need any help along the way let me know and I will be more than happy to offer my opinions.
Good luck
Thanks a lot there Mr Taylor. If you don't mind, I am going to send you a PM with my email in the clear. I do have a pretty good collection of guns. Most of them are not what you would want to experiment on. But, I am starting to shop the pawn shops for some "beaters". I would love to pick your brain from time to time. Exactly what I need! Thanks again.

Wooly
Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Bronze Member

Send your email by PM and we can share ideas anytime. As for working on your own guns, getting old ones from pawn shops is fine but it adds to the cost. You can watch the course as many times as you like so the first time through you don't actually have to do anything to your firearms just take them apart so that you can phisically see what Bob is talking about and gain a full understanaing before attempting the procedures you are not sure about.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:18 AM
Gold Member

If you buy one Use Saia freight. I had 4000 lbs. delivered to a buisness for $200.00.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member

Woolecox

How is the corse going. I've been thinking about taking it .
What do you think of the corse.

Thanks
Ramp