Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Gun Smithing Career

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Bronze Member

Gun Smithing Career

Like most here I have been tinkering with and fixing my own guns for years. But I have never had any formal gunsmith training. About a week ago I pulled the trigger (pun intended) and ponied up for the first instalment of the American Gunsmithing Institutes Professional Gunsmithing Course. This is the first in a four series set of courses that takes the student all the way up through Certified Master Gunsmith accreditation.

These courses are presented in video format. I decided to go this route because I have a full time day job that will not allow me to attend any of the classroom institutes. My plan is to complete the course work and pick up any work and training from local smiths and shops in the area that I can.

I am 50 years old and I don't plan on getting rich doing this but I love the field and from what I have seen, there is a definite need to preserve the trade. I would however like to become a qualified and experienced gunsmith with a business that would be self sustaining.

As I reach retirement age, possibly move into the business full time. I have run a couple of other businesses so I do have a little experience there.

I was just wondering what words of wisdom you all had to offer and if you have any thoughts on AGI? Here is a link to their website. You kind of have to dig to find the accredited courses. Thanks!
AGI - Home
Old 07-12-2009, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Gun Smithing Career

Congrats. Start with a caffinated beverage. That Darrell Holland will flat talk you to sleep.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Bronze Member

Yeah, I bet some of those videos can get pretty dry. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Woolecox, where are you located?

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Woolecox, where are you located?

AJ
I am in Magnolia, TX. Just NW of Houston.

Wooly
Old 07-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolecox View Post
I am in Magnolia, TX. Just NW of Houston.

Wooly

Thanks and good luck with your career.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Bronze Member

Incidentally, I have been doing some preliminary shopping for a suitable lathe and mill. Can't find any made in America. And some of the manufacturers I have written tell me that I won't!

That does not sit right with me. I will never buy equipment made in China or Taiwan.