Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing


Reply

Guard Screw Torque

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 138
Guard Screw Torque

I've asked this question once before but can't find the post when searching for it. H-S recommends 65 inch pounds on the guard screws when installing their stocks. On the Remington 700 ADL there are three guard screws, rear, middle and the forward guard screw. The rear and middle go through the trigger guard. Which of these screws need to be torqued? The BDL is different due to the dropping floor plate. Which screws on the BDL need to be torqued?

Your help is appreciated, thanks.
__________________
Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 249
Re: Guard Screw Torque

The front and the back screws are where the pillars are. These ones are the ones that need to be torqued. The middle one is covered up by the floor plate when you close it. If you over torque this one it will just ram the metal mag insert into the bolt so it will be difficult to open and close the bolt. The main worrie are the pillar screws that hold the metal in the stock.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 138
Re: Guard Screw Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootinfool View Post
The front and the back screws are where the pillars are. These ones are the ones that need to be torqued. The middle one is covered up by the floor plate when you close it. If you over torque this one it will just ram the metal mag insert into the bolt so it will be difficult to open and close the bolt. The main worrie are the pillar screws that hold the metal in the stock.
Thanks much for the info regarding the BDL. What about the ADL, which has no floor plate?

Thanks again.
__________________
Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,509
Re: Guard Screw Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
I've asked this question once before but can't find the post when searching for it. H-S recommends 65 inch pounds on the guard screws when installing their stocks. On the Remington 700 ADL there are three guard screws, rear, middle and the forward guard screw. The rear and middle go through the trigger guard. Which of these screws need to be torqued? The BDL is different due to the dropping floor plate. Which screws on the BDL need to be torqued?

Your help is appreciated, thanks.
Do a search on "Torque Recommendations" and it will answer your questions .

But the front and rear action screws are torqued to somewhere between 35 and 65
inch pounds depending on the type of stock and the type of bedding.

The front screw on the trigger guard of a ADL is only snugged up with a little lock tight
to prevent it from coming loose,the rear screw and the front action screw must be
torqued .

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 138
Re: Guard Screw Torque

Thanks much for your help, I appreciate it!
__________________
Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 249
Re: Guard Screw Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Do a search on "Torque Recommendations" and it will answer your questions .

But the front and rear action screws are torqued to somewhere between 35 and 65
inch pounds depending on the type of stock and the type of bedding.

The front screw on the trigger guard of a ADL is only snugged up with a little lock tight
to prevent it from coming loose,the rear screw and the front action screw must be
torqued .

J E CUSTOM

Sorry for the delay in clearifacation. It is just as JE said. Sorry I was not clear on the adl as well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 753
Re: Guard Screw Torque

Click here. . .

Calling all smith's
__________________
Chad Dixon
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Guard Screw Torque
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Action Screw Torque???? tunacan Gunsmithing 10 01-18-2011 07:11 PM
Trigger guard screw problem Ultramag45 Gunsmithing 2 10-12-2010 05:49 AM
action screw torque bb204 Gunsmithing 4 09-13-2008 06:31 AM
action screw torque bb204 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 3 09-12-2008 10:02 AM
TRG-S screw torque ? ktg Long Range Hunting & Shooting 0 09-25-2002 11:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC