Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Grizzly G4003G Gunsmith’s Lathe Part 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Grizzly G4003G Gunsmith’s Lathe Part 1

This is like Chevy vs. Ford debate ...

... until the Toyota Tundra (80% US made) came into the picture.

... stir, stir, stir

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
This is like Chevy vs. Ford debate ...

... until the Toyota Tundra (80% US made) came into the picture.

... stir, stir, stir
.......but with a twist because the subject is actually defunct, out of business, no longer exists, except in name and name recognition.

It would be tantamount to Toyota buying the Ford Blue Oval (if Fords ever went bankrupt, highly unlikely) and using the trademark on every Toyota for sight recognition.

Unlike the automotive debates, there are very few American workers involved in bringing imported from China machine tools to American consumers, unlike Toyota and other non-domestic entities who actually have plants on US soil, employ American workers and contribute to the economy.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

I bought a Grizzly 4003g. It has some nice features that made it the best choice for my circumstances. If I was a professional smith, I might've done something different.

My son just shot his first long range competition using a rifle we chambered and fit on this lathe and did very well.

I'm pleased and proud as you will be too.

Any discussion regarding me being un-American is 100% nonsense and not worthy of a response.

-- richard
Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 PM

Here are some rifles Dane and I have put together. We have really been enjoying learning and working at getting better. We still have a long way to go, we both wish we would have gotten the lathe hooked up with a DRO. Our tooling wish list is long but we are slowly gathering them as we go. Right now for what Dane, Bill and I are doing the Grizzly is getting the job done.

When I was in high school I took metal shop and got to learn a little bit on the lathe. After I had left school they closed down the shop classes and I wish I would have had the foresight and wisdom to buy one of the three lathes the school had.

Remington 700 Short Action
6.5mm Creedmoor
+0.002” head space
Badger Ordnance Recoil Lug
Timney Flat Trigger
McRee Leopard Chassis
Rock Creek 5R 1-8” twist 20” barrel, 5/8x24 tpi @ muzzle
JP Cooley muzzle brake
Elite Iron Bravo D Suppressor
Weaver 2 piece base
Badger Ordnance low 30mm rings
US Optics 1.8-10x37mm SN-3 ERGO
McRee 10 round magazine

(Shown with Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm)

After some “issues” we have the 7mm SAUM all sorted out! The ballistics are very impressive and I feel the 7mm SAUM is a great ELR/ULR rifle cartridge. This rifle is heavy and the 27.5” Heavy Varmint barrel doesn’t do us any favors. The 7mm is extremely flat shooting and bucks the wind very well.

Remington 700 Long Action
7mm SAUM
+0.002” head space
Badger Ordnance Recoil Lug
Jewell HVR trigger
McRee Precision Chassis System
Kreiger Heavy Varmint 1-8.5” twist 27.5” barrel, 5/8x24 tpi @ muzzle
JP Cooley muzzle brake
Nightforce 20 MOA base
US Optics low 35mm rings
US Optics SN-3 ERGO 3.8-22x58mm
McRee 5 round magazines

This is my current match rifle.

My match rifle with Delta P. Design 762 Brevis.

Here are some groups;

3, 5 round groups @ 100 yards each from a different shooter. Top left was mine, top right was Dane and the bottom group was shot by Byron.

The after 1,800 rounds the Rock Creek MTU's were shooting great but they were slow! The group on the left was mine and the group on the right is Dane's. Both were shot at 100 yards.

After setting back the MTU I shot this 7 round group at 550 yards

www.sincityprecision.com
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

There were some tremendous buys in high and vocational school machines around 10 years ago. Most schools discontinued their vocational training programs because of insurance issues and lack of participation by students. I bet that some serious investigation on your part would uncover some good buys even today.

That's where I bought the LeBlond, from a high school shop. It was used little and very, very well tooled and I got it for basically scrap price. I also bought a very lightly used Minster OBI tryout, 5 ton centrufigal press.

The issue with bigger machines is the rigging to move, especially from inside a school building. I wound up removing as much of the machine as possible in parts, then pulling the bed out with a high low, reassembling the machine in my shop. You need some serious road equipment to haul the stuff. A pickup bed don't work, or a U-haul trailer and you better know about load securement.

Refitting a DRO is a simple and not too expensive matter on any machine. For under 1500 bucks and some time, you can fit a 3 axis IP54 glass scale encoder/readout unit that will be accurate to 0.0005, much better than your machine is capable of.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM

Common practice in the 300+ rifle barrels I've threaded and chambered thru the head stock have all had copper or lead protectng the barrel in spider and 4-jaw.

BTW except for a couple dozen done back in the 70s on a 20 year old SBL (flat ways) all my work done on on Tiawanese or ChiCom lathes, including Grizzly, a comany that supports their customers..All a little rough but easily smoothed up, leveled and adjusted to kill a 10thou indicator.

If I could justify it a Mori Seki would be my choice. Be nice to buy a good American lathe and mill. EPA, OSSA and unions killed that so buy the best lathe you can afford!

(Quote)
I woud suggest to find another use for the copper stranded wire that is protecting the barrel in your picture. Common and accepted practice is to use soft jaw caps of a known thickness to prevent marring of a finish.

I like to shoot and exercise my Second Amendment right to bear arms, especially long range rifles, which, is why I'm here in the first place. This forum is a great place to learn and while I'm fairly ancient, I can still learn and adapt.

Finally, my take on unions is simply that if it weren't for organized labor, the fringe benefits that most workers receive today in an industrial setting would never have come about. Having said that, I'm on the fence considering unions today, especially a closed shop. I believe it's the workers right to choose representation rather than be

Enjoy your Chinese lathe. If it serves your needs and fits your budget, that's all one can ask.

I merely wanted to point out the what if rather than the obvious.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

"BTW except for a couple dozen done back in the 70s on a 20 year old SBL (flat ways)"............

South Bend Lathe Company never built a lathe with flat ways. They were all prismatic Vee ways (one of SBL's hallmark selling points BTW). You have your brands mixed up. Maybe you refer to Logan or Atlas or an early Sheldon.

The only detraction in a flat way machine has to do with the tailstock. Flat ways, because the tailstock locates on the inside vertical surface of the ways, on long center to center turning, the tailstock can (if not gibbed properly) can 'fishtail', causing the centerline to become skewed.

Grizzly's guarantee is much like the current oiptics guarantee. If a machine is defective, it's cheaper to discard it and provide another because the markup is so great. Machines built in third world countries and sold domestically can be replaced without question because the build labor is so cheap.