Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Grizzly G4003G Gunsmith’s Lathe Part 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 01:59 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Grizzly G4003G Gunsmith’s Lathe Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post

Shortgrass, while not professional machinists I do know that there are professional gunsmiths that use the Grizzly lathes.
I graduated from Montgomery Community Colleges' two year gunsmithing program in '93. Had 17 years of job shop machining experience before I went. Been gunsmithing/custom chambering since I graduated. Still doing both, gunsmithing and job shop machining. Professional enough?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:22 PM

Well SidecarFlip you have added some very interesting information to the discussion. Not in the direction I would have figured this thread would go but a direction non the less.

I do believe in your right to express your opinion and I appreciate you filling us in on one side of the story, this is a forum after all. If I ever get to sit down with Mr. Shiraz Balolia I will be sure to get his prospective on the matter.

I think from your point of view you have painted a very accurate picture but I do want to ask you your opinion on union's and how they fit in to the context of the end market place.

South Bend Lathe - What Can We Learn from an ESOP Failure.

Quote:
This model, however, also shows what can go wrong as long as management, unions, and workers cling to "wage-system" thinking. In August 1980, the world was shocked to hear that employee owners had gone on strike against top management who controlled the voting power of the company.
Quote:
There was one key question that critics never seriously explored which would have shed light on the problems at South Bend Lathe: Why did the regional and international representatives of the United Steelworkers refuse to assist their local members in negotiating on ownership issues, both at the inception of the ESOP and during the 1980 strike? Even after repeated invitations to union officials to participate in the ESOP's design, the union allowed management (who had invested no more in the buyout than the workers) to assume power over the control block of "unearned" shares in the ESOP
Quote:
It revealed that the greatest challenge that we face is in abandoning old mind-sets-making the leap from the false security and highly concentrated power of the wage system to the shared risks, responsibilities, and rewards of the ownership system. And South Bend Lathe showed that in the long run, management and employee representatives in an ESOP company can ignore the ownership participation rights of employee-shareholders only at the expense of the company and everyone with a stake in its success.
I'm not looking to argue with but I figure I would offer other views for people who may come across this thread.

www.sincityprecision.com
Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
I graduated from Montgomery Community Colleges' two year gunsmithing program in '93. Had 17 years of job shop machining experience before I went. Been gunsmithing/custom chambering since I graduated. Still doing both, gunsmithing and job shop machining. Professional enough?
Shortgrass, read what I wrote again. I was not calling you out, or questioning your qualifications.

I was just pointing out that it may not be considered adequate for professional machinists(I agree with you), but it has proven to be adequate for some professional gunsmiths.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 PM

As far as I know there arent any lathes made in america anymore. I dont think you can even buy a american chuck since Buck went to china. I dont own a grizzly, but I do own a sheldon and a import lathe. Is the sheldon better, hell yes does the import work? again yes. I have a friend at work who bought the grizzly 4003g lathe a few years ago and loves it we have worked in the same machine shops over the years running hardinge, clausings, monarchs, southbends etc and it is good enough for him and his home use.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

I see whiny posts about us guys who buy an import lathe all the time but I have yet to see any one of you put your money where you mouth is an get us an American made lathe!! These import lathes are likely respocible for more American jobs any way, from the docks to the show room Grizzly is employing Americans. Shiraz is captain of the American F class team as well.
I know of a couple full time machine shops and top builders that build on Grizzly machines!

JE building your own rifles is so sweet, I put together a rifle for my buddy and then spotted for him as he spanked targets from 800 yards to over 1900 yards, I think I was more jacked than he was

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

........Shiraz is captain of the American F class team as well....... So tell us, does he shoot a Chinese rifle?

Far as American made lathes or American made machines, there are plenty out there that need good homes and of course rebuilding.

For example, my favorite engine lathe, a LeBlond Servo shift toolroom lathe with frequency drive came from a machinery liquidator and needed a lot of TLC, but if the bones are good, everything is rebuildable. I spent 4 long years rebuilding 2 South bend Lathes from the ground up, one I sold and I kept one, but then I like old, American made machinery.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFComfort View Post
Well SidecarFlip you have added some very interesting information to the discussion. Not in the direction I would have figured this thread would go but a direction non the less.

I do believe in your right to express your opinion and I appreciate you filling us in on one side of the story, this is a forum after all. If I ever get to sit down with Mr. Shiraz Balolia I will be sure to get his prospective on the matter.

I think from your point of view you have painted a very accurate picture but I do want to ask you your opinion on union's and how they fit in to the context of the end market place.

South Bend Lathe - What Can We Learn from an ESOP Failure.

I'm not looking to argue with but I figure I would offer other views for people who may come across this thread.
There are literally volumes written on the rise and failure of SBL both pro and con and dissecting the scenario in it's entirety can take a long time, depending on which way one leans both in respect to unions and in respect to management.

All I wanted to do was illustrate what Balola and Grizzly represented as it pertains to the original tradename and that is nothing more than a rebadged chiinese machine. Nothing more.......

I consider myself fortunate that prior to the demise, I was able to get a number of proprietary prints for a couple rebuilds and some intrinsic parts as well.

Certainly no whining on my part intended or warranted. You won't find any Balola machinery in my shop but that is entirely my choice and candidly, I'm not a gunsmith and I only fiddle with guns as a hobby and then it's mostly trigger groups.

I do have my journeymans card in tool and die making. I served my apprentiship at Standard Products Company in Cleveland, Ohio and I own my own machine and fabrication shop. We produce items that are in no way related to anything discussed on this forum, not even remotely firearm related.

I woud suggest to find another use for the copper stranded wire that is protecting the barrel in your picture. Common and accepted practice is to use soft jaw caps of a known thickness to prevent marring of a finish.

I like to shoot and exercise my Second Amendment right to bear arms, especially long range rifles, which, is why I'm here in the first place. This forum is a great place to learn and while I'm fairly ancient, I can still learn and adapt.

Finally, my take on unions is simply that if it weren't for organized labor, the fringe benefits that most workers receive today in an industrial setting would never have come about. Having said that, I'm on the fence considering unions today, especially a closed shop. I believe it's the workers right to choose representation rather than be forced, as a condition of employment, to join the union.

No, my shop is not union. Somehow, I don't believe any union would be interested in a 3 employee shop. Not enough revenue.

Enjoy your Chinese lathe. If it serves your needs and fits your budget, that's all one can ask.

I merely wanted to point out the what if rather than the obvious.