Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Grey Bull rifle stocks "Now with Pics"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

Re: Grey Bull rifle stocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Cowboy,
Its going onto my .338RUM, the fellow bought it for a rifle project but has decided to go in another direction with the project so it is surplus to his needs. These stocks seem to be selling at a quite reasonable price direct from Grey Bull so If this one turns out to be OK I might even buy another one from them for another rifle that I have.
TOPSHOT: Appreciate your comments - how was the fit when you set your barreled action down into the stock? Did you have much modifying to do? From the sounds of it did you just drop it in the stock and go to the range? Been in touch with Greybull - they seen easy to work with as they said order one and if I didn't like it I could just return for full credit. Cost of UPS is pretty cheap if they will let a guy do that.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Grey Bull rifle stocks "Now with Pics"

The stock is a drop in for a Remington Long action with a Sendero profile barrel.

My barrel had a longer Knox than a Sendero so I had to grind out that area with a Dremel tool.
Only took a couple of minutes and it was in no problem. The stock material was very easy to grind away, they sand smooth.

The Remington action then just fitted straight into the bedding area with no other modifications and was a very nice fit.

POI at 100 yards changed about 3/4" of an inch compared to the old laminate stock. I think that this is a good result considering that I did not skim bed the action into the new Grey Bull stock.

I had screw trension on the laminate of 35 in/lb and 65 in/lb on the new stock so this change would also have effected the POI at 100 yards.

All in all a good result and one I am very happy with.

"Used Guns" is where I bought the stock second hand. It is an Australian site.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
The stock is a drop in for a Remington Long action with a Sendero profile barrel.

My barrel had a longer Knox than a Sendero so I had to grind out that area with a Dremel tool.
Only took a couple of minutes and it was in no problem. The stock material was very easy to grind away, they sand smooth.

The Remington action then just fitted straight into the bedding area with no other modifications and was a very nice fit.

POI at 100 yards changed about 3/4" of an inch compared to the old laminate stock. I think that this is a good result considering that I did not skim bed the action into the new Grey Bull stock.

I had screw trension on the laminate of 35 in/lb and 65 in/lb on the new stock so this change would also have effected the POI at 100 yards.

All in all a good result and one I am very happy with.

"Used Guns" is where I bought the stock second hand. It is an Australian site.

I read that Australia is handgun free? How hard is it to get quality rifles there?

Hicks
Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Not easy but possible. Only a handfull of good local gunsmiths.
It is getting harder to get stuff like barrels and actions out of the U.S. with export permits etc required.