Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

got new barrel, are those tool-marks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: got new barrel, are those tool-marks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
got a chance to shoot it today, or break in. I did one shot clean, first shot was trapping copper right where scratches are, I did few passes with KG-2 and copper vanished quickly after 3rd shot clean with KG-2 scratches were no longer visible, after 5th shot I stopped doing break and fired 5 5-shot groups, the best group I got was 0.192 and worst 0.56", that's without any load development. I think I might tweak those loads to get tighter groups. I'll post picture of the muzzle after I remove carbon then after I clean it.
Sounds like a money maker to me, glad it worked out!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

Here what it looked like after I removed carbon, there are still few spots with copper, but that's is nothing major after 25 shots with only 5 break in shots.

and after I cleaned copper out, no sign of tool marks...

Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Jinx, I saw something like this in a 6mm BR barrel from an old-time very well known benchrest barrel maker. That barrel also had circular tool marks that were complete continuous circles across the lands and grooves like yours, only there were thousands of them, full length of the bore. The barrel was cut-rifled, and I believe the marks were made by the broaching tool chattering.

I did not see the marks looking down the bore with a bore light, and could not feel them with cleaning patches. Only when I inspected the bore with a borescope after the first range session. It shot 1/2 moa during the break-in session, and didn't copper foul, but I decided I would rebarrel it with a Lilja. I figured a 6 BR should shoot better than that even with me pulling the trigger.

Your barrel may turn out to be O.K., but you sure got crappy customer service. No quality barrel should look like that.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Gold Member

The bull barrel is 6 BR, just what you had before Tom.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

Why would you not just send them back and go somewhere else.Dont know who you are talking about ,,but for the cost of everything today ,,anything less than perfect is unacceptable .,both in product and customer service..