Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

glass beding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Bronze Member

glass beding

I have a model 700 sendero in 264 its shoots about .75 -1moa.The question i have is it will shoot the first 2 in or about the same hole and the third flies about 3/4 to 1 inch. It does this with diffrent powders and bullets. Just wonderingif glass beding will fix this problem I know it has the bedding block. I am hoping the glass will tighten every thing up a bit to help my accruacy. Or could the crown be bad?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Re: glass beding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee31 View Post
I have a model 700 sendero in 264 its shoots about .75 -1moa.The question i have is it will shoot the first 2 in or about the same hole and the third flies about 3/4 to 1 inch. It does this with diffrent powders and bullets. Just wonderingif glass beding will fix this problem I know it has the bedding block. I am hoping the glass will tighten every thing up a bit to help my accruacy. Or could the crown be bad?
Bedding blocks are normally good but bedding them will almost always make them shoot
better.

I have never seen a bedding job that was done right hurt the accuracy/consistency of any
rifle. and the reason for bedding in the first place is to improve shot to shot consistency.

Go ahead and bed it it can only improve it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

Honest answer that might sting.

Double check your procedures on the bench. I know we are all red blooded American men which means by rights know how to:

Drive faster
Screw better
Shoot straighter

than anyone else on the planet. . .

Be that as it may a careful evaluation of your bench game procedure just may improve that random flyer your having.

FWIW I absolutely SUCK at bench shooting and I quite often have to resort to help/coaching from someone with more experience. Boyd Allen, a guy that frequents BR.com is a really good resource for this stuff.

My only point in stating this is that I find too often a gun is thought to be the culprit when in fact the shooter is doing something.

Good luck.

Chad
Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

I have a custom 257 wby that did the same thing. Someone suggested slowing down and putting "A MINIMUM" of 1 minute between shots. This practice took my groups from 3 rounds under a quarter to 3 rounds under a dime. My 257 was the worst for heating up, but shooting in this manner has decreased the groups for all my rifles.

Good Luck

Southpaw

Last edited by Southpaw; 03-15-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling - Ooooppss
Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I have a custom 257 wby that did the same thing. Someone suggested slowing down and putting "A MINIMUM" of 1 minute between shots. This practice took my groups from 3 rounds under a quarter to 3 rounds under a dime. My 257 was the worst for heating up, but shooting in this manner has decreased the groups for all my rifles.

Good Luck

Southpaw
Agree.

I have a couple of .22s that I use for practice as I'm after technique more than accuracy. One of them isn't that accurate anyway but the rifle "feels like" my 7mm Wby so it's a cheap stand-in. Even with those I try to wait and to think for each shot. If I do that I'll be "practiced up" for my centerfires when I actually have to wait between shots to be sure the barrel is cool.