Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Glass bedding question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Glass bedding question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
I disagree. Pillars are part of the stock and they will be compressed. Not very much, but measurable. They expand when they get hot and contract when they get cold.
I agree to a point because most materials have different coefficients of expansion so they may change dimensionally with temperature changes. "BUT" the pillars will return to there original dimension when the temperature returns to the same as when built and it is very very small.

Where as the stock material once compressed will not return all the way back and continue to
lose the original dimensions with continued compression by the action screws.

The main benefit is to keep the bedding material from compressing. most bedding materials
will have a coefficient of expansion 8 to 9 times that of stainless and left to its own (No Pillars)
will eventually compress enough to loosen the fit on the receiver.

Having bedded both ways, the pillar bedded action lasted much longer before skim bedding
was nessary to improve the fit.

As allways this is my opinion based on experience and with a little applied science.

You may not be convinced, but I am and will continue to pillar bed all actions in search for
more accuracy.

Good shooting

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

Re: Glass bedding question

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I agree to a point because most materials have different coefficients of expansion so they may change dimensionally with temperature changes. "BUT" the pillars will return to there original dimension when the temperature returns to the same as when built and it is very very small.

Where as the stock material once compressed will not return all the way back and continue to
lose the original dimensions with continued compression by the action screws.

The main benefit is to keep the bedding material from compressing. most bedding materials
will have a coefficient of expansion 8 to 9 times that of stainless and left to its own (No Pillars)
will eventually compress enough to loosen the fit on the receiver.

Having bedded both ways, the pillar bedded action lasted much longer before skim bedding
was nessary to improve the fit.

As allways this is my opinion based on experience and with a little applied science.

You may not be convinced, but I am and will continue to pillar bed all actions in search for
more accuracy.

Good shooting

J E CUSTOM
Well said.

Fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)