Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Glass bedding with Acraglas Gel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Silver Member

Re: Glass bedding with Acraglas Gel

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckclimbing View Post
I know that ideally you bed your stock, take it out once to clean out the "squish," put it back together, and never take it apart again.

In reality this never happens though. If you want a good test, bed a rifle with acraglass and one with JB. Then take them apart and put them back together ten times. You will undoubtably notice how much looser the acraglass is.

That is the only thing I need to do to never use anything but JB again.
what do you use as the release agent? I was looking at Devcon titanium putty for my next bedding adventure. FYI I have acraglass gel in my gun. after taking it out of the stock 3-4 times it become easy to take out; the first few times were nice and snug. I cant imagine what happens after repeated recoil
Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Diderr-

I used the release that came with the Acra-Glas Kit that I bought to do my first rifle, for the longest time. They give you two bottles which is more than enough.
Last time I used neutral colored shoe polish which seemed to work better because it doesn't run as much. Just had to make sure and keep it thin, don't get a big blob in one spot. This worked really well.

Last edited by redneckclimbing; 09-16-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Was bedding it worth it ? Yes now at 100 yds average group size . 85 inch groups average with Nosler 120gr BT.

Last edited by 1100 Remington Man; 10-09-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Bronze Member

I'm not too fond of the Acraglas package myself. The release agent is way too thick IMO no matter how you apply it and the bedding compound itself contains nylon which is hygroscopic (attracts water) -- pretty much the last thing you want in the rifle action-stock interface. Sure it might be that the nylon among the epoxy never gets in contact with water but why take the chance when there's plenty of epoxies to choose from and the cost per rifle is insignificant?

The bedding fit should remain constant or the bedding job is suspect. After all the idea is a casting that accurately and repeatedly hugs the entire action surface without introducing distortion.

I'm not a benchrest fan -- I endorse all shooting sports but my personal preferences just lie elsewhere -- but the guys have it nailed with the mantra "bullets, barrels, bedding".

My bedding jobs are far from perfect presentation-wise (I'm getting better and getting more new and proper tools don't hurt either) but I consider the castings to be accurate when I get all the wrinkles from the action and I'm even able to read "Made In Finland" as a reverse shadow in the bedding -- and that's with the lettering packed with clay

Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Do your clean up / filing, then post some pics. We have been thru the learning curve of bedding so don't be shy.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:10 PM

Here is an article I wrote for 6br.com about 10 years ago. It may be of some help to some of you.

Stress-Free Pillar Bedding within AccurateShooter.com
Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

perhaps one could use a piece of ( say ) wet/dry paper to sand the contour blocks to fit said action ?