Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Glass bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Glass bedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner2601 View Post
I have a new Howa 1500 varmint and looking for information on glass bedding the stock. It looks like the best thing to do is pillar bed and glass bed but this is where I'm confused. Why is this best to do both than one over the other?
If you are talking about bedding the synthetic stock that comes with the rifle I would not waste time and money on it. Buy a B&C Medalist with full aluminum bedding block then skim bed that. Then sell the Howa stock for a few bucks. Your first pillar bedding job is not likely to be a stellar performance speaking from experience.

I just got a Vanguard S2 (Same as the Howa) in 223 that shoots 1/2 MOA out of the box in the synthetic stock it came in. It is a sturdy material that will not compress easily. I plan on shooting it just like it is until I think it needs a new stock and then I'll get the B&C Medalist and skim bed it.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Glass bedding

[QUOTE=MontanaRifleman;807047]... Your first pillar bedding job is not likely to be a stellar performance speaking from experience.
...QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth

OP- The last Pillar kit I bought actally came with a "how-to" dvd in the pack. If I can pull it off, anybody can I agree that the factory stock is not worth your time. On the positive side, there are many cost friendly options out there for a guy that isn't afraid of a little elbow grease.

Take your time & double check your work before you mix the bedding & rock on.

t