Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

??Getting an FFL??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

??Getting an FFL??

I've been doing some research on getting an FFL but I see that there are kits that you can get that help with the process and give you some software but I don't know if they are worth it over just doing it from the Gov. source ? Any recommendations pro or con?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
SPONSOR

Re: ??Getting an FFL??

Don't waste your time or money on "kits". If you go to ATFE web site you can probably request an application 'on line'. There are really no secrets to it.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, that was kinda what I was thinking but didn't know for sure. I don't really need an FFL right now but I'm working my way to need one and I would like to have it in place before I need it as opposed to the ever popular "waiting on my FFL" deal. That and I want to take advantage of some FFL or gunsmith pricing that some companies have, that would make my getting deeper into it cheeper, I think.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

bigngreen,

A lot of companies will give you the same (or at least some of a) discount if you get your C&R license. It's much cheaper and easier at $35/3 years.

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com
Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, I saw that but I might as well go all the way because I'll more than likely want to buy actions as soon as my fuse gets lit and waiting won't be an option, patience is not my strong point

Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Unless you are a legitimate dealer, with a store open to the public, expect BATF to run you through hoops to get an FFL. Here is just a partial list of what they will want: A background check, your photo and fingerprints, copies of your local mercantile license and sales tax collection license if your state has one. They will want to know your store hours (so that an agent can pay a surprise visit and check your books, inventory, etc), also whether you have a sign in front, advertise locally, and the list goes on. BATF has been eliminating basement dealers for years. I was one and they put me out of business (it was my choice) by constant harrassment.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:04 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Unless you are a legitimate dealer, with a store open to the public, expect BATF to run you through hoops to get an FFL. Here is just a partial list of what they will want: A background check, your photo and fingerprints, copies of your local mercantile license and sales tax collection license if your state has one. They will want to know your store hours (so that an agent can pay a surprise visit and check your books, inventory, etc), also whether you have a sign in front, advertise locally, and the list goes on. BATF has been eliminating basement dealers for years. I was one and they put me out of business (it was my choice) by constant harrassment.
A+ for what Gene had to say. I'll add that you must be in compliance of all city/county ordinances, too. Neighborhood covenants are , also, looked at. Anymore, you need to be able to show that you are a legit firearms related business to be issued a license. BATFE is under DOJ (a.k.a. Eric Holder). That won't make getting a license any easier. If you are setting up a business, the best of luck to you. "Sporting" type firearm sales are at a low right now because of the down economy. In the area where I live, those that came on for "The Obama bump" are 'out' or on their way 'out'. I'll quote a signature I've seen on a local forum, "I'm glad I'm not trying to make $20 selling a gun these days". If you are applying for a license so you can 'buy cheaper', good luck!