Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Getting back old barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Re: Getting back old barrel?

well noted...thank you for ur comment. I think im learning that with precision rifles, perhaps i would want him to take his time, build it nice and slow, without stress to give me back a true rifle...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

I just had this discussion with the gunsmith I'm working with. I tried to trade him the unfired factory takeoff barrel and he pretty much told me he would scrap it so it had no value to him tho' he thought I could maybe sell it.

I'm looking into/for that factory-barrel-take-off market as we speak.

As for time the gunsmith doing the work seemed fixed on 120 days which I agreed to after being told 6-8 months by a local smith. Just doin my time day by day...

Jack
Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Communications is a two way street.

Not all "smiths" are well versed in the needs of long range shooters. Some might even be considered hacks. The ones that contribute to this forum are pretty much in tune. And, their work/reputation is out there for everyone to see.

You've had a couple of reputable smiths who are good communicators/contributors to this forum respond to your thread.

I got fed up with local smiths who didn't return calls before the sale. I figured they wouldn't be any better after they got half or all of my money/materials. So, I started doing my own work.

Guess what. It costs a LOT more to do it yourself, and takes nearly as long to get all of the tools, materials, time to do my own work. BUT... I always know where I stand.

-- richard
Old 04-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Communications is a two way street.

Not all "smiths" are well versed in the needs of long range shooters. Some might even be considered hacks. The ones that contribute to this forum are pretty much in tune. And, their work/reputation is out there for everyone to see.

You've had a couple of reputable smiths who are good communicators/contributors to this forum respond to your thread.

I got fed up with local smiths who didn't return calls before the sale. I figured they wouldn't be any better after they got half or all of my money/materials. So, I started doing my own work.

Guess what. It costs a LOT more to do it yourself, and takes nearly as long to get all of the tools, materials, time to do my own work. BUT... I always know where I stand.

-- richard
Mostly, I communicate with myself okay. Sometimes I forget to tell me things I later think I should have told me. Or, mabey I did tell me and just wasn't paying attention?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

I pretty much agree with all the replies. The take off barrel is your property. If you requested it back you should have received it back. But I, like most smiths see little to no value in most of them. Think of it like this, the oil in your truck is yours, but most places changing oil don't even think to offer it back to you when you have it changed.
As far as the cheek piece install, maybe he had other stuff in line before you maybe he didn't. If 4 days was an issue for you then you should have asked if sooner was an option. If he had things ahead of you maybe a few dollars to cover a little overtime in the shop would have left everyone happy.
Finally as far as long build times. When I have all the parts it takes me about 3 days to finish up a build. The big wait is parts. The last call I made to Hart was 8 to 10 weeks for a barrel. Brux was running 10 to 12. Those are short waits compared to some. Sometimes they hit their quote sometimes they are a few weeks off. I explain that to the customer and give them a best case completion date and also up to a month longer. If something unexpected happens I let them know. And occasionally a smith gets the perfect storm, when parts for several builds/jobs all show at the same time, and half a dozen walk in small jobs show up too.
I'm sure there isn't a smith on here that hasn't worked through the night trying to meet a delivery time and keep his customer happy.
As far as being an asshole. I'm sure my wife would answer yes to that several days a month.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
Mostly, I communicate with myself okay. Sometimes I forget to tell me things I later think I should have told me. Or, mabey I did tell me and just wasn't paying attention?

Now, That should be in the humor section.

It also hit very close to home.

Thanks for the laugh grit.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

When I tell my regular smith I want the barrel returned, he writes it on the ticket. I usually buy a blank and take it to him for cutting and chambering. I always tell him I want the barrel stub with all the manufacturers i.d. on it. Some barrrel makers will not look at a return without it.