Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Getting back old barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Getting back old barrel?

So, when I got my rifle rebarraled i didnt get my old barrel back...My buddy got his rifle rebarreled as well, requested it back, and never got it back, I needed a cheek piece put on, only four holes needed to be drilled then finished, he asked how soon i wanted it back, i told him asap (meaning in like 15 minute), then he said, ill call u in three or four days! WTF? are gunsmiths @ss holes or what? i could have drilled the holes myself. but i want to give business to these places.

Gunsmiths seem to be like a michanics shop! I can get it if the guy was swamped and couldnt drill the holes right then, but its a hole in the wall place, in a small town, and he could have simply just done it and got it over with.

what am i missing here? should i pick up the trade and do crap myself? seems to be the case with everything else in the world...
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Getting back old barrel?

Just because it is a small shop,does not mean hes not busy.Do you have a long bussiness record with him? That usually speeds things up.I live in a town of about 15-20,000 and it takes a month for a dentist appointment,and most everyone is 2-3 weeks out,mechanics. You should absolutely get your old barrel, unless it was part of a trade.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM

yeah, he probably is busy, but even so, four holes? he doesnt rebarrel guns either?? but it says "gunsmith"? anyway, just a small shop i stumbled upon and i wanted to give it some business..finally its not windy, and where im from its windy ALL THE TIME, 40 plus.. so, i just wish it wouldnt take four days to get a cheek piece put on..

so i should have gotten my barrel back, as well as my friend.. ill be making some phone calls... thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

It is nice that you support local business.I do the small gun work stuff myself,and have learned along the way, I am a builder and have shop and space,lot of wood working tools.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Many "general" gunsmiths don't rebarrel. Or, they send rebarreling out. A half shot our factory barrel has no real value. Certainly less value then the cost of shipping. 99% of the barrels I take off are in a pile on the shelf. For the most part, it is assumed they are scrap. Requesting a barrel back and not getting it is another matter.

Expecting any business to drop what they're doing and "just drill four holes" for you is unrealistic. You are in line, always. If you needed the job done now, you should have asked. He might have done it as a courtesy.

Make your expectations known and they will most likely be met.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM

ok thanks... Im sure if i did mention for it to be done now then he would have, just took me back that he said 3-4 days.. is this the usual in rebuilding fire arms? barrels, stocks, etc.

I currently have a 7x57 interarms mark x that i would like rebarrelled and chambered in something different. not sure what my options are, hoping a 30-06 but also would like to fit it with a tactical stock as well..but cant seem to find a place that can do it. at least my searches online have have lead me no where.

with a project like this, am i looking at almost a yrs wait? my last rifle took roughly 10 months.. all that was done was a new barrel and some minor changes, glass bedding, box mag, and scope was put on it. this was done in an area of a million ppl or so..(tyler texas) so i can see how it would take a while, but i live in a small place where the total population of ppl in the state is 550,000.. just concerned. ive read articels that say no matter what a rebarreled gun shouldnt take any longer then 4 months..

what is ur take on all of this... thanks for insight.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
So, when I got my rifle rebarraled i didnt get my old barrel back...My buddy got his rifle rebarreled as well, requested it back, and never got it back, I needed a cheek piece put on, only four holes needed to be drilled then finished, he asked how soon i wanted it back, i told him asap (meaning in like 15 minute), then he said, ill call u in three or four days! WTF? are gunsmiths @ss holes or what? i could have drilled the holes myself. but i want to give business to these places.

Gunsmiths seem to be like a michanics shop! I can get it if the guy was swamped and couldnt drill the holes right then, but its a hole in the wall place, in a small town, and he could have simply just done it and got it over with.

what am i missing here? should i pick up the trade and do crap myself? seems to be the case with everything else in the world...

I will not defend "All" gun smiths but some are much better about communicating with the
customer and explaining the conditions of the transaction.

First= If he honers his schedule to his customers he will not work something in unless he is at
a good stopping point.

And remember, 1 half of the relationship is up to the customer.

If you ask for your barrel back, you should get it back. Most used barrels are gunk and only
good for some tool making or as some have stated "Tomato Stakes". others that have not been
used or very little have some value and can often be sold to recover some of your cost.

Normally the best thing to do is set down with the Smith with a list of what you want done
and what you expect from him, If you can't agree "RUN"!!!!!!!

There are some excellent gunsmiths on this site and all you have to do is look for them.

J E CUSTOM