Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Full Length Sizer Boring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: Full Length Sizer Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
for building a forming die, your simply not going to beat Accuralloy from Baldwin. The stuff comes with a 30rc hardness, and takes a nitride process like nothing I've ever used before or after. Plus it's as strong as all get out! I bet Baldwin has a dealer down under, as they are known world wide. Be worth the time to email them!

As for drill rod, I'm with "Flip". You can't get anybetter than Starrett. I had two racks of their drill rod all the way out to 1.25" and 30mm. But I steadilly replaced using it with Accuralloy and Nicralloy from Baldwin. The guys cutting the stuff always said there was a difference. The same can be said of Starrett gauge stock, and trust me I've been stuck with the generic stuff too many times in the past!
gary
As far as I can see from Baldwins info it's similar to 4140 , tha't what they compare it too . they don't have any info on dimentional stability after heat treating so I think I will stick with Bohler K110 for bullet swaging dies as it's a known quantity .
Old 04-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

I must comment that dimensional stability as it pertains to commercial heat treatment is entirely in the hands of the heat treater and their competence level. No supplier will guarantee dimensional stability that I know of, however the people I deal with come through consistently with very littel dimensional change.

There will always be a bit, after all you are realigning the structure and it will move.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I must comment that dimensional stability as it pertains to commercial heat treatment is entirely in the hands of the heat treater and their competence level. No supplier will guarantee dimensional stability that I know of, however the people I deal with come through consistently with very littel dimensional change.

There will always be a bit, after all you are realigning the structure and it will move.
Yes and No , Some steels have greater stability than others and as Baldwin does not give any comparisons to other steels I tend to stick with what I know and can get. The very reason that heat treaters don't give any guarantees is the reason I use a steel with a reputation for dimensional stability during heat treating .
It's a whole different ball game for the armature only wanting a small amount of steel compared to shops ordering it by the truck load .
It's a mute point anyway because there is no Baldwin agent that I can find .
Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
As far as I can see from Baldwins info it's similar to 4140 , tha't what they compare it too . they don't have any info on dimentional stability after heat treating so I think I will stick with Bohler K110 for bullet swaging dies as it's a known quantity .
The only brand of steel I felt was more stable than Baldwin was from Timken, and that was the 52xxx bearing steels which are a different animal. Their 4150 (accuralloy) is extremely stable in a nitride process (I used nothing but plasma)
gary
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

good point! There is virtually no steel that dosn't change under heat. Some more than others. I've even seen 4xxx series steels change all over the place in a nitirde process. Looking in the Carpenter manual, they do spec the change outs, but I think that's a lot of guess work.

For a heat treat some to get my buisiness, they must be of aircraft quality first. Then I look to see if they can do the exotics, as this gives me an idea what they can and cannot do. I'm lucky as I have two in my area. One is a small shop about ten minutes north of me, but if it's gotta be seriously right I goto one up in Indy. I probably didn't use either one a dozen times as I had access to a state of the art heat treat facility. But I liked the way the one in Indy did air hardening processes best.

You are probably a light year more upto date on steels than I am for the most part. I may have delt with some of crazier exotics but you still ahead of the game here. I honestly think the operator doing the draw process is more imortant than the guy doing the initial heat treating and quench processes (also can be extremely critical). I've had a few jobs trashed by the quench tank alone! The best thing I ever did was to order in a good agitating system to seriously circulate the quench oil. Then I brought in Castrol and a couple others to try different oils. I settled on Castrol by the way.
gary