Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Full Length Sizer Boring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Full Length Sizer Boring

Roy, you are the only guy I know that could come up with something like that. I wish you lived closer.......Rich
p.s. maybe you could finish it off with a little mouth wash
Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Roy, you are the only guy I know that could come up with something like that. I wish you lived closer.......Rich
p.s. maybe you could finish it off with a little mouth wash
Roy is an old fart (like myself and Gary) we have too much time to think about stuff whereas the younger crowd just goes and does it.......
Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 AM
Gold Member

What about a 6.5 something Lee collet die and either adjust the collets skirt length or ad a washer under it to get the correct sizing length.
I use a machined washer with the 223 and the colllet die all the time to do partial neck sizing and it works great.
It is not hard to adjust the room for extra neck thickness by lapping down the mandrel or even lapping out the collet neck area is possible .
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Roy is an old fart (like myself and Gary) we have too much time to think about stuff whereas the younger crowd just goes and does it.......
HEY! watch that!!!

I learned a lot from my Dad, and he was a master tool maker (he had the paper work from the Fed). He was literally a farm boy from Tennessee that followed US31 north. Later in life I served my first apprenticeship with a bunch of Germans and Dutchmen. I watched those guys do finish grind work in a lathe all the time, and at times it looked rather rube goldberg. But they got results! One I still remember as if it were last week was a large brass cylinder that was about four feet long. The bore needed to be honed. They made a series of plugs wrapped with black paper and lapping compound. I've seen crankshaft journals reground accurately with a wooden block and emery paper more than once.

My all time favorite one was when the guys came and got me one Saturday morning on a golf cart to have a look at a large J&L CNC lathe (20" chuck). They were changing all the wipers and filters and things on an annual major PM, plus fixing a few things that needed fixing. The Z axis ball screw bearing pack was very loose at both ends. When they broke the bearing pack loose at the chuck end the bearing block sprang up about eight or ten inches! The screw was bent a bunch. The guys removed it, and then came and got me. It was bent over ten inches. I figured they must have had one serious wreck, and we all started going over everything, and it was perfect. I go up to where I stored the ball screws and find a new one, and have it brought down to the job. Called Dave Bush at Lead Screw International and explained what I was seeing. He stopped in a couple days later to look at it (the screw was new six months prior). Dave sends it back to his shop with the plan on building a new shaft, but keep the old nut. His guys actually put the screw in his arbor press and straintened it. Worked like it had never been bent! Dave confirmed that the machine had not been wrecked. The gist here is that you'd be surprised as to what you can do if there is a serious need.
gary
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
What about a 6.5 something Lee collet die and either adjust the collets skirt length or ad a washer under it to get the correct sizing length.
I use a machined washer with the 223 and the colllet die all the time to do partial neck sizing and it works great.
It is not hard to adjust the room for extra neck thickness by lapping down the mandrel or even lapping out the collet neck area is possible .
Hello Bumper! How are things downunder? As far as I know, no one makes anything in 6.5 with a .550" body? How is your bullet making going......Rich
Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Gary:

My dad was a toolmaker at Cleveland Twist. He met my mom there during WWII. He had a deferment because the work he did was vital to the war movement so he joined the Coast Guard auxillary and patrolled the Great Lakes when he wasn't working.

He died in an industrial accident at Cleveland Twist when I was almost 17 so I never really got to spend a lot of time with him but I still have his tools and his tool box to this day. Before he died he advanced to the department head prototype development.

Mom retired from CT. She's been gone about 15 years now. She worked in final inspection and then in the office in billing.

When I have to buy tooling that Cleveland Twist manufactures, it always comes from there. I don't ever look at cost, I consider them family.

Might have told you but I took my apprenticeship at Standard Products in Cleveland Ohio and earned my Journeymans Card in tool and die making. That was a long time ago but it still seems like yesterday.

Time flies. Like my good friend said to me, "take a tape measure, run it out to 100 and put your finger on your age. Look at 100, you most likely won't live that long. Then look back to the beginning of the tape. Amazing how much time you wasted and how little you have left...... Smart guy my friend is.

I must say, it has been fun for ther most part, but I don't want a repeat performance.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Gary,

I appreciate your point. Ya gotta go with whatcha got. I look at the ancient clock movements and am in awe of how they were made!

Craftsmen are craftsmen are craftsmen. What ever the discipline.