Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Full custom build questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Full custom build questions

Hey guys, i MIGHT be building a full custom 338 lapua on a defiance action, but i have a few questions. I want a single shot (solid bottom, no mag cutout) , and to be able to eject an unfired round, what action from them do i want? The deviant? Rebel? I really like the idea of the integral recoil lug and rail. I know i want the .750 bolt, and extended thread tenon, but what bolt nose? I think i am going to get a bartlein 9.3 twist sendero contour 1.350" and finish it at 30" from bugholes and an assassin muzzle brake. Jewel trigger of course. And either a xlr chassis or mcmillan stock, havent gotten my hands on either so also looking for advice on that. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Riley

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: Full custom build questions

On a custom build their is really one choice to do it right. You will cry once on the price. Bat is the best! Defiance is the sexy name on this forum and Kelbys will be right in their with them doing the build with one of their Stole actions'. Now if you do not care about the prestige of the name on a custom action Go with a Weatherby action with little truing. I have never seen a Weatherby action that tuned ever be bested by a custom. It might not have the sexy status and many builders do not know how to work on them, but those that understand them will guarantee .250 or less with a 5 shot group.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

I would want a 1.125" barrel tenon diameter for a 338 Lapua. You can't get that from Defiance.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

My gunsmith recommended defiance to me for a custom action, he loves them and uses them in most full custom builds.

Does anyone their current wait time? I emailed them today but they didnt reply so it will probably be monday until they get back to me.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

Old 03-08-2014, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Riley, I would see if Kirby had one of his Raptor actions in stock, it's got it all for this chambering!!

I almost picked up a Deviant for a 30-338 Lapua Improved I'm doing but I don't think a fixed 20 MOA rail will get me where I want to go.

I've been eyeballing those barrels just sitting there and thinking about changing from the 30 cal and building another 338 Lapua Improved but I'm stuck on pushing the Berger 230 fast and long so I better scratch that itch
Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

Good thinking Rhian, i completely forgot about his action. I will shoot him an email. Thanks

I'm 16
~George Washington

~ JE Custom

Old 03-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I would go defiance and deviant model. I have one now and one waiting to be assembled both in 338 lapua and they both are single shot defiance actions.

Stout as hell and smooth as butter.

Jordan@406