Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

fluting and plishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

fluting and plishing

I just assembled my first 6br and shot 1 box of factory Lapua 105's. What a sweet shooting cartridge!

TAC30
Bartlein 5R, 1:8, 26", straight taper 1.25-.97"
Timney
Manners T4a

I didn't move the rings. So, the scope hangs off the end of the rail. Plus, I haven't even bedded it yet and it shot one ragged hole at 100 and less than 1" at 263yds with a 15mph cross wind and lots of mirage. Lucky? Perhaps. Time will tell. Nonetheless, I'm very pleased with my first full custom build thus far.

However, I'd like to shed a little weight. So, I'm thinking of (a) removing some material from the stock/barrel channel, and (b) sending the barrel back to Bartlein to be fluted.

I haven't done any polishing. And, it still has magic marker from the mfg and a few scuffs along the length.

Should I polish it at all before or just wait 'till after fluting? I've never tried polishing a fluted barrel. ...not looking for a high shine. ...just looking to clean it up.

thanks,
richard
Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Bronze Member

Re: fluting and plishing

I don't know if Bartlien would flute it now. The normally would flute before they rifled the barrel. This way the flutes don't cause a problem with the rifling. Most likely it won't but it could. You may have had a better chance of it before you chambered it too. Might want to check out places like Twisted Barrel for fluting options.

And I have never had a problem polishing a barrel after it is fluted.

Denny

ps, Sweet looking rig!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

I checked with them before I chambered it and they said it wouldn't be a problem. I just need to re-crown it.

But, I'll check out the site you referenced as well.

Thanks!!
Richard
Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Bronze Member

That's good!

I have not dealt with Marty at Twisted Barrel, but I have heard nothing but good about him.