Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

fluteing ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

All barrels finish rifling out of dememsion no matter what process they use to make them and all the good ones are finish hand lapped to bring them into unifority. No matter what process a maker uses at the very end of the process their will be some stress still in the steel simple becasue all barrels show up as a piece of forged steel and they all have stress. It would take dozens of temp cycles to relieve all the stress that and shot peening would help but any time that work is done to a abrrel it induces stress or relieves stress. Fluting a barrel will open the bore section under the flutes it may only be measured in milionths of a n inch but its gonna open , this is one main reason that most barrel makers won't flute their barrels any closer than 2" from where the muzzel is expected to be that way the muzzle remains tight. If gass passes around the bullet at any point it not doing anything good for accuracy , but if it passes around the bullet as its leaving the bore thats realy bad and poor accuracy will surely result , ever notice that barrel makers recomend you clean from the breech thats to keep the crown clean, tight and free of any nicks its also the reason that they lap the barrels from the breech end and make sure that the muzzel is identified. I have seen several rifles shoot like crap after comming back from having a brake put on only to find out that the section was cut down improperly or the threads were cut poorly and the crown had oppened up. I have also seen a tight bored Palma barrel shoot like crap after if had been fluted (a Kreiger) and the bore on those is marked at .298" thats .002" smaller than normal 30 cal barrels , for those that don't know two thousandths of an inch is a mile in critical machining , and this barrel never did come around even after hand lapping , cryo treated and re-lapped and finaly fire lapped. Improper fluting ruined this barrel.

So if a guy takes his time and does a good job and hand laps the barrel after then you can most likely get away with it , bt I for one would only do it on stress relieved cut rifled barrels , $300 foir a new tube and 10-18 weeks to get it is a big gamble just to shed a few ounces.