Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

fluteing ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

You might consider stress reliving the barrel before fluting, this can be done by cryo or by heat. I use cryo but it is expensive when done right. Heat is inexpensive in comparison, i use an old pottery kiln but if the barrel will fit into an oven you could do the same thing , on a 1 inch dia. 26 inch long barrel 300 degrees for 13 hours should be enough to stress relive the barrel.
i base this on personal experience.
I would do the fluting on a vertical mill it applies less pressure on the bore.
Good luck
Old 12-26-2007, 06:22 AM
Bronze Member

thank you all for your feedback it has beeen very useful. loader
Old 12-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Silver Member

Fluting barrels

Have your barrel maker stress relieve the steel first. Yes, I know the steel maker says it is stress relieved from his shop. Don't believe it. Drill the barrel, stress relieve the barrel again. Then flute the barrel turning it 180 degrees, between passes. Now stress releive the barrel again. Lapp the bore, and button or cut the rifling. Turn the contour and stress relieve again. All the better button barrels are stress relieved at least 3 times. The process is different with cut rifling.

Thre are three methods of stress relieving, heating in a heat treating oven, vibratory bead method, and cryogenic. Not being an engineer I can't say which is best or if a mix or match combination is better. I can tell you the top barrel makers will all agree that stress and heat are the bigest enemies to a barrel and accuracy.

I highly reccomend talking to the barrel makers themselves. They will not let out their propriatary trade secrets, but they will give you the basics.

Rustystud
Old 12-31-2007, 03:38 AM
Silver Member

Many years ago I would buy barrels from J.P. Campbell he made barrels mainly for his own customers but he made a few to sell as well, He used the heat treat method to relive barrels , they were relived before any machining, after drilling, after reaming, after rifling, and again after contouring. 300 degrees for 13 hours each time. Of the 20 some barrels I bought from him I never had one that didn't shot great and no stringing.

You didn't see much fluting back then but I think he would have done it after fluting as well.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM

fluting

i flute barrels all the time for people. and have never herd someone say their berrel doesnt shoot good. you will have to work up dif loads as the barrel is stiffer and will have dif harmonics. all the things about stress relief and changing dimentions is all true but the bottom line is it doesn really effect accuracy that much.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

How does fluting a barrel make it more stiff ?

And how does enlarging the bore not affect accuracy ?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:15 PM

Fluting

you see button barrels come out all dif dimension the good ones come out tight and are laped into dimension. +/- this is why we need to use dif pilots on our reamers. what i am saying is fluting really doesnt get a barrel out of dimension unless it was borderline large to begin with. i flute and light lap after,