Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

To float or not to float that is the question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

To float or not to float that is the question.

Well I just got my second rifle done but have yet to bed her. the channel needs to be opened about 1/16 on both sides and I am in no hurry.
most of my hunting rifles have a free floated barrel exept my MARLINS now I got a Springfield that is nice and tight, and I am planning to open her up a bit but what are your opinions?
Does your barrel float?
Or is your barrel tight in the stock.
No pumps or leaver actions need to answer.
Please.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 PM

Re: To float or not to float that is the question.

How does it shoot now???
Old 04-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Free float them, always. It aint about shooting tiny groups. It's about shooting tiny groups to the same point of am regardless of conditions, type of rest, sling pressure... You get the idea. Pressure points throw shots when pressure changes.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Agreed, fully free float them all. I say no to any bedding under any part of the barrel.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

I like to float the barrel channel, except the first inch beyond the recoil lug. I bed about 1" at that point.

Years ago, Remington was leaving a small bump on their wood stocked 700's right at the forened tip. This would bear on the barrel, theory being to maximize harmonics. I had a .257 Roberts that shot very well with it. You need to find out what your rifle likes
Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Gold Member

We have cut 4 barrels on this Lathe, this was the 5th, the tube was full of oil and we only cut about a 1/16th to 1/8.every time blowing chips and keeping cutting oil flowing NOT coolant.
and the cutter broke and we called a well known barrel company, they sent a new barrel (no problem) I showed it to some of my friends
WOW! the barrel is a bit tight it sets in good, right to the botton of the channel, I plan to re-bed the action and float it.
I was told it is a target barrel, I used a bore scope and it was the sight of a tack driver, no question. the barrel was just a touch heavyer than the origenal it was one that was designed for a Springfild Compition rifle. I was so scared they would say sorry, but they said they would cut the chamber for a larger diamiter caliber(case).
I cant send photos this PC its is a piece of junk and I cant do a thing, so if you send me an e- mail I can get a photo out to you and if you would please post here for me.
This is a project, some of my family here and in Canada know knew my Uncle, well he died a few years back and left 4 Garands and 6 Springfields, as a kid he would let me clean and oil his Springfields, he had a Springfield he started to sporterise I have a few others but this one is a bit special I have well over $1200 into it and I have a stock that needs a few places fixed he cut an area fer the peep sights and needs to be filled.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Gold Member

I took her out back at the farm and its dead nuts. under .75 and not broke in.
I did not adjust the scope I had a few big pieces of cardboard and after I break it in I will zero it.