Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Fitting my old 700 action to a new synthetic stock.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Fitting my old 700 action to a new synthetic stock.

I have a 1980s Remington 700 in 30-06. The recoil is a little too much for my shoulder when plinking or sighting in. Since the new recoil pads are all for straight backed stocks and my wood stock is curved I thought I would just buy a new Remington synthetic stock with the recoil pad already built in. I assumed it would be a direct drop-in thing, but I was wrong. After an extended amount of time and material removed, the action and barrel fit into the stock but the barrel is not free-floating like I wanted. I think a thin washer under the front screw would lift the barrel just enough to be free floating. Is there a problem with this idea? I was thinking of getting a new longer front screw to make up for the added distance.
Any comments or concerns?
Thanks.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Fitting my old 700 action to a new synthetic stock.

Just thought I would throw this out there. First off, just about every gun I have is bedded/ freefloated, so recognize the importance.

however, we have 3 of the rem 700's with the really cheap tupperware stocks,that are not freefloated. in theory, this is not good...but...

all 3 of these guns shoot extremely well. I wont be floating them because there is just no reason to. i have shot 2 of these alot and i have no issues that normaly might come from barrel contact.

Just a thought, you might shoot it and see how it does?
Old 07-23-2011, 05:56 AM

Re: Fitting my old 700 action to a new synthetic stock.

I will try shooting it again as soon as I don't have to worry about sweat dripping in my eyes. Since I do commerical heating and cooling work by the time I get home my eyes hurt from all the salty sweat that gets in them. Not to mention the range points right in to the afternoon sun.
Thanks.