Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

First time bedding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Gold Member

Re: First time bedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosh338 View Post
The barrel is free floating all the way back to the bedding in front of the lug. Do you suggest that I relieve the bedding in this area to get the barrel to float all the way back to the lug?

Will I have to redo the bedding job when installing the pillars or can I install the pillars with the current bedding job?
I would use a sharp blade and put a shallow groove in the bedding just in front of the lug depression and then chip away the bedding forward of that position. The shallow groove should prevent you from chipping off the bedding material that's holding the lug snug. "Lug Snug" - a bit of unintentional rhyme.
You should have no trouble installing the pillars with the bedding in place. The pillars may, in fact, have to be bedded (some do require using a bedding compound) themselves but if that's the case with the kit you select it's simply a matter of preparing the pillar openings to the proper size. Pretty straight forward.

Just make sure your holes are drilled straight and take your time.

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the help.

Ill try and shoot it just with the bedding before starting the pillars. Ive ordered a set from Brownells which should take a few weeks to get her. Looking forward to see what improvement ill get just with the bedding job.

Thanks again
Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

It will need completely redone when you do the pillars. Laminated stocks can work very well just bedded like you have. I prefer nothing touch the barrel. The lug should fit tight on the rear side but can be loose on the front and sides. That is optional. You can do the lug fully tight if you want but it makes it hard to disassemble. A little clearance on the bottom of the lug is needed so if any debris fall in there it doesn't stress the action. The test is you should be able to loosen either screw one at a time and it should not move a dial indicator at the end of the fore end. The little bit of wood showing through is no big deal and is expected when not using pillars. Something has to locate the action height. The screws are only used to clock and locate the action and should not have any torque when skim bedding. Once cured and cleaned up then tighten to 45 inch pounds.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks

I did torque the bolts slightly while bedding. Will this affect the job? I used a layer of duct tape at the bottom of the lug which will give the required clearance.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

It only takes 3 inch pounds to bend a Remington 700 action. I believe a skim bed over your current bedding is in order. One zip tie over the rear bridge and one directly over the barrel support that is holding the barrel centered at the end of the forearm. The screws are only in there to locate the action. Not hold it.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.