Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

First DIY Savage, Barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First DIY Savage, Barrels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman208 View Post
I see, so the bushing value is an outside diameter? Can you recommend a manual that details the use of bushings I'm definately a novice in this area and I like pictures?
Grif
really this is just a suggestion only, but I always recommend Fred Sinclairs book on Precision Reloading. For the bushing diameter I simply measure the bullet diameter, then add in the sized diameter and shrink it .003" for starters. But you can't! So you need to know the wall thickness doubled, and add that to the bullet diameter. Then remove three thousandths (or four thousandths) from the total figure. Later on you might want to try neck shaving, but for I wouldn't
gary
Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Bronze Member

I got it now Gary. Thanks for your patience I will check out Sinclairs book.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
really this is just a suggestion only, but I always recommend Fred Sinclairs book on Precision Reloading. For the bushing diameter I simply measure the bullet diameter, then add in the sized diameter and shrink it .003" for starters. But you can't! So you need to know the wall thickness doubled, and add that to the bullet diameter. Then remove three thousandths (or four thousandths) from the total figure. Later on you might want to try neck shaving, but for I wouldn't
gary
My evolution as a handloader and shooter must be destined. I recognized that title from a bunch of books I inherited from my father in-law so I have been scouring the pages in between diaper changes. Thanks a lot Gary I will post pics when this thing gets off the ground.