Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

First DIY Savage, Barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First DIY Savage, Barrels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman208 View Post
Thanks for the tip guys. Just dropped Sin Arms an e-mail.
Do not use Loctite anti sieze on your barrel threads!! Use Never Sieze with Nickel. Holds up better to heat and has much better lube properties; plus it is cheaper
gary
Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
Do not use Loctite anti sieze on your barrel threads!! Use Never Sieze with Nickel. Holds up better to heat and has much better lube properties; plus it is cheaper
gary
Thanks Gary, is Never Seize a hardware store kind of item or gun specific?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Gary, is Never Seize a hardware store kind of item or gun specific?
you can find it at hardware stores. Normally comes in a pint can that you paint on with a brush. Put the paste on sparingly as you only need a thin film of the stuff. The Loctite stuff dosn't seem to do well with fine threads, and will actually dry up over time, and then destroy the threads when you remove them. Last I heared Harbor Frieght sold it, and I think I've seen it at Menards.
gary
Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

the cheapest place I found to buy Never Sieze is at a web site called "The Find". They had pint cans for $15. That's enough to last you half a lifetime! I looked at several sites, and this one is by far the cheapest (this stuff has quadrupled over the last ten years). A 35mm film canister of the stuff will do fifty barrels. I know farmers that go thru two pint cans a year, and just about every good engine builder uses it
glt
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Bronze Member

Copy That. I have a Harbor Freight a few miles a way. I need to get a bench vise anyway. Thanks again I think I'm about ready to start making some orders.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Copy That. I have a Harbor Freight a few miles a way. I need to get a bench vise anyway. Thanks again I think I'm about ready to start making some orders.
If I knew it was going to go crazy in value, I'd have stocked up on the stuff for resale!!!.
gary
Old 10-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Bronze Member

No kidding. I am planning on getting a barrel nut wrench and the other ins and outs for this project from midway. Does anyone know if Redding makes go/ no-go gauges? I'm having trouble finding headspace gauges. Also have been planning on going with a #4 contour or heavy sporter weight barrel but I've been reading that some people are saying they wouldn't go any lighter than a #5 on a long range rig any thoughts would be great.