Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

First Build Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Bronze Member

First Build Questions

Ill start off by saying I've never done any work to a firearm before, other than cleaning.
I had planned to buy a Tikka T3 Tactical this year for coyote hunting, but figure I can build a superior rifle for the same amount of money.
I want a 22-250 (biggest we can use for coyote), and most hunting will be done in 400yds or less, but I want to use it for target shooting up to 1000yds. I figure I can buy an action, barrel, and stock and put it together myself. Is this a wise idea for someone with zero gunsmithing experience?
I also have some more in depth questions about the build, but I'll do as much research as I can first, I'd just like to know I won't be getting in over my head trying to build a rifle, and end up with a bunch of parts in the closet.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: First Build Questions

I've heard tale of alot o folks (that don't have machine shop or lathe skills) who have built their own rifles off of savage actions.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Bronze Member

That's what I need, something where I can buy the parts and put them all together myself, no lathing or machine work.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
I've heard tale of alot o folks (that don't have machine shop or lathe skills) who have built their own rifles off of savage actions.
Very good advice !!!!!

Read everything you can, buy a head space gauge for your build and check and re check
everything.

If your not sure and have a gunsmith near ask him to check head space for you. (Very cheep insurance).

Test fire from a safe distance (Tie the rifle down and use a cord 20 to 30 ft away) to start with,
use factory loads .

Have fun and be carefull.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Savage is your best bet based on what you stated.

There will be some trial and error. It'll cost a little more money. And, the results won't necessarily be any better than buying a factory Savage in the desired configuration.

You just need to decide if you're in it for the adventure or the destination.

-- richard
Old 08-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Savage is your best bet based on what you stated.

There will be some trial and error. It'll cost a little more money. And, the results won't necessarily be any better than buying a factory Savage in the desired configuration.

You just need to decide if you're in it for the adventure or the destination.

-- richard
I do enjoy the fun of putting something together myself, but if I'm going to end up with a rifle that's no better than a factory savage I'll probably just buy the tikka. I don't want to put that much time/money into it and up with savage axis.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler24 View Post
I do enjoy the fun of putting something together myself, but if I'm going to end up with a rifle that's no better than a factory savage I'll probably just buy the tikka. I don't want to put that much time/money into it and up with savage axis.

It should be better than a factory rifle because of the truing,lapping, trigger and a custom barrel
with a good chamber and stock.

Plus a proper bedding and a good head space, should all add up to a good rifle and a lot more
experance and knowledge of what it takes to make an accurate rifle.

Most Gunsmiths started just trying to accurize factory rifles and learned the in's and out's
of many different rifles before starting to build rifles from scratch.

J E CUSTOM