Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Firing Pins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Firing Pins

Chad---Very Nice! I have some that were fixed by my Smith as well as one that was made from one off as a example to show his students..

Never forget the small details!!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:19 PM

Re: Firing Pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
These types of threads make me chuckle and if I missed it I am sorry but the biggest issue and most people do not even think of this is------Pin Dragging on the Bolt Shroud. If the firing pin does not hit the primer exactly the same every time (also means seating primers exactly the same because energy from the pin strike cannot be moving the primer forward) then you are peeing into the wind. You may be able to brag to your buddies about the new pin but in fact you are no better off than before maybe worse!!

This started out as a harmless question about pin sizes that turned to a mess of opinions, which I understand is the reason for this forum. There is no braggin to friends there is no saying that the pin will work better or worse (I really haven't seen anything substantial that lends to the statement). This is one machinist learning the wonderful world of gunsmithing and looking into the possibilities of taking weight off the rifle. Have made a titanium scope base...titanium bipod base...titanium rings....hell i would look into making a titanium action if i could afford it...lol Anyway i do thank all of you for your comments and will try my firing pin and go back to the original if it doesn't work out. I have way too much fun in the machine shop and am enjoying learning this trade.