Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Firing Pins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Firing Pins

Can anyone get me the specifications for a remington 700 firing pin. What i am trying to figure out is the differences between the ruger and remington long action firing pins. Friends tend to get touchy when you ask them to tear there bolt assembly apart.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Firing Pins

I suppose I could take mine apart.
But, I'm not sure what "specifications" you need.
I'm certainly curious why you are asking the question.

-- richard
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

I've got a factory Remington short action firing pin and spring laying around here someplace. Will that help you?
gary
Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Just wanting the dimensions. (length..diameter etc..)

I was looking at the lighter firing pins that are only made for Remington, and was wondering about the differences in Ruger pin to Remington. Has anyone replaced their factory pin with these lighter so called better firing pins to get a quicker strike to the primer. I have some titanium rods laying around my shop and was thinking of making my own but then i seen the Remington ones online and they sure look the same to me, except maybe the length on the front end of the pin. I dont have a Remington, own nothing but Rugers.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainey64 View Post
Just wanting the dimensions. (length..diameter etc..)

I was looking at the lighter firing pins that are only made for Remington, and was wondering about the differences in Ruger pin to Remington. Has anyone replaced their factory pin with these lighter so called better firing pins to get a quicker strike to the primer. I have some titanium rods laying around my shop and was thinking of making my own but then i seen the Remington ones online and they sure look the same to me, except maybe the length on the front end of the pin. I dont have a Remington, own nothing but Rugers.
I did the Tubbs Speedlock kit on my .223. Your in for a serious surprice when you start making titanium firing pins. I've made about eight or ten of them, and attempted about twenty five (yes I'll admit it it!). Buy one and forget the hassels. But I think I'd buy the Gre' Tan.
gary
Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I did the Tubbs Speedlock kit on my .223. Your in for a serious surprice when you start making titanium firing pins. I've made about eight or ten of them, and attempted about twenty five (yes I'll admit it it!). Buy one and forget the hassels. But I think I'd buy the Gre' Tan.
gary

Problem is i don't see anyone making them for a Ruger M77 MKII
Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainey64 View Post
Problem is i don't see anyone making them for a Ruger M77 MKII
I would look for a new spring and keep the firing pin.

I have changed lots of firing pins to the speed locks and the reviews are mixed.

But the new spring change seems to be the best way to speed up lock time, do
away with the serpentine condition that is common with springs that the diameters
are two large that cause drag in the bolt increasing lock time.

Springs are easy to fine ,And if you cant find the factory replacement another stronger
spring can be cut to length.

J E CUSTOM