Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

fireing pin question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

fireing pin question

ok here is the problem i have. Today while shooting a load that i have shot for the last 6 years and had something happen that has never happened to me. The fireing pin punctured a hole in the primer. Just to see if it was a fluke i shot another one ( with my head turned away from it ) and it done it again. I was a little scared to do it again. It is a Enfield 1917 action. Does anybody know what might have happened. My guess is the fireing pin is comming too far out but thats just a guess. Please any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Gold Member

Re: fireing pin question

Since I have one of those myself, this post peaked my interest.

Doing a google search I gather that unless the tip your firing pin is damaged causing a sharp point the pin isn't puncturing the primer. So check to see if your pin is sharp first.

The next issue I found was your spring not being strong enough. I'll quote the post I found.
So check to see if there are little discs in your bolt.

In case you haven't taken your bolt apart before...

http://www.tiropratico.com/manuali-p...montaggio1.pdf

I don't think your firing pin can be too long all of a sudden unless there is some damage to the beefier parts of it. While your bolt is apart look for any signs of damage.

(Might as well do some maintenance while you have it apart.)
Basic Rifle Maintenance - Part 1

By Vince Bottomley

It may be the ammo? I know I have never had any sort of problem with mine, try some different ammo if you don't find any other problem.

More info is always helpful.
Was it just two rounds of did you shoot more beforehand that were ok?
How long was it since you last shot it?
Do you keep it cocked while storing? (I let my spring relax.)

I hope you figure it out.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 05-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

Hodgen powder issues

It seems that a hot load can pierce primers also.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 05-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

I would pull apart a load and check your charge weight and go form there,if you are using factory ammo it will likely be firing pin spring or tip.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

I had shot 3 shots prior to the 2 that pierced the primer. I have been useing this load for years and useing the same lot of powder. Hmmm i wonder if it might be the primer. With the shortage of federal primers i used CCI 200 primers i have been useing Federal 210M primers. Do you think that would make a difference? I did not notice a difference in speed on any of the shots. Now im not so sure.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

i dont think i have to tell you which ones are pierced but if you have bad eyes its the ones on the right. The other three on the left are the ones i shot prior to shooting these two. The primers are hit very hard on these as well almost piercing them. Just for the fun of it i primed a couple cased of different primers and fired them. That is the second picture. Not sure how well you can see it but the are almost pierced as well. Took the bolt apart but could not see anything visibly wrong. Now i have no idea. Please help.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperjwt View Post
I had shot 3 shots prior to the 2 that pierced the primer. I have been useing this load for years and useing the same lot of powder. Hmmm i wonder if it might be the primer. With the shortage of federal primers i used CCI 200 primers i have been useing Federal 210M primers. Do you think that would make a difference? I did not notice a difference in speed on any of the shots. Now im not so sure.
Caution !!!!!

When you change primers you "change the load". It could be much hotter.

Also it could be that the primers have a softer cup for better ignition and if your firing
pin is on the long side that could do it.

First I would switch back to the 210s and see if it happens any more. If it does
then the firing pin stop may be worn enough to allow the pin more travel.

J E CUSTOM