Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

FFL Question like so many

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 AM

FFL Question like so many

I have gotten so many answers to this question and can't find an answer. They go from yes with a type one FFL your good to go, to you need a type 7 FFL ITARS, etc.

AR platform..... I am opening a sporting goods store and do some light gunsmithing. If I order a lower and bolt a upper on it, I am required to be a manufacture. Which is stupid, I know, but that is they way it is.

Now if I sell a completed lower, separated from a complete upper, and do not put it together, so they are just buying two pieces of a firearm, will it keep me from having to pay ITARS, and get a type 7 FFL. Is it legal to do this as a Type 1 FFL.

Now if someone came into the shop and bought the lower and a upper, pinned them together and sold them back, then what? I have searched and Googled, no joy.

I know someone else has asked this question.

Thank you for your time.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 AM
SPONSOR

Re: FFL Question like so many

Don't bother with google,, talk to ATF directly, probably the Technical Branch, although, you might quiz the nearest office.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: FFL Question like so many

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Don't bother with google,, talk to ATF directly, probably the Technical Branch, although, you might quiz the nearest office.
Exactly what shortgrass said!

Recently, a friend of mine went through a three day inspection as he applied for his 07 license. I spent some time talking with the inspection agent as I had a few questions regarding my FFL, transporting suppressors and some other manufacturing questions. It was interesting that she gave me answers that were quite different than what I have read posted on some forums.

Go to the source, document all your conversations, and you will be well informed to make the right decisions!

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"