Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Export requirements for a gun stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 AM

Export requirements for a gun stock

The long and the short of the question: What do I require to export one single McMillan A5 Stock out from the USA for my own use?
Iím building my long range rig her in South Africa. My ideal will be to fit a McMillan A5 stock to it. I emailed McMillan, how is of the opinion that no permits is required because it is a non-metal gun part. A friend of mine brought his in through a dealer and warned me that two other guys tried to bring in their own stocks which were confiscated by US customs. Any help or references would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Export requirements for a gun stock

The long and short answer.... You need to go through a licensed exporter/importer to take delivery of that stock from any US manufacturer!

A few years ago, I sent a stock abroad, thinking that it was only a piece of wood, and not a controlled item. I got this lovely letter informing me that I was obviously in violation.

If you read this letter, you will become knowledgeable of what that violation would be.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Export requirements for a gun stock-stock.jpg  

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 AM

Joel, many thanks for your reply and info! Will work through it and try to obtain the required documentation. Thanks again for your trouble!

Regards
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Find a licensed exporter in the US, and a licensed importer in NZ, and you're good to go.
I learned my lesson the hard way by losing a $1,500 piece of wood...but hey, I have a nice letter to show for it...

Good luck.

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"