Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Experience with Duracoat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Experience with Duracoat?

I agree with the rest of the guys, it's tuff if prepped and applied per instructions. I've done quite a few barreled actions and stocks for myself and customers and it is working very well.

Definatly aluminum oxide blast parts first. Then clean with a no residue cleaner/degreaser.
I like to apply 3 coats on areas suseptable to damage.

I do quite a few budget restoration jobs on old rimfires and shotguns, It's easier and cheaper to blast and spray, than polish and reblue.

Granted if you drag your gun across some rocks or rake it down a steel fence post you may damage the finish, but bluing and some other coatings would be damaged as well. anytime there is enough pressure to scratch steel the surface coating is going to take a hit.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: Experience with Duracoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
I agree with the rest of the guys, it's tuff if prepped and applied per instructions. I've done quite a few barreled actions and stocks for myself and customers and it is working very well.

Definatly aluminum oxide blast parts first. Then clean with a no residue cleaner/degreaser.
I like to apply 3 coats on areas suseptable to damage.

I do quite a few budget restoration jobs on old rimfires and shotguns, It's easier and cheaper to blast and spray, than polish and reblue.

Granted if you drag your gun across some rocks or rake it down a steel fence post you may damage the finish, but bluing and some other coatings would be damaged as well. anytime there is enough pressure to scratch steel the surface coating is going to take a hit.

Well Said,

The TCE cleaner is the best i have found that dosen't leave a film on the rifle.I use it when cold blueing with dicopan (sp) and it works really well with dura coat no bake also.