Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Enlighten me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Enlighten me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Gary...

My wife spent a lot of time at GD in Lima.
Joe promised me a ride on that tank and never came thru! Good thing anyway as it was 28 degrees that Febuary morning!
gary
Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

I'll play Sargent Schultz again...... I know notttttthing.

My wife specialized in Fire suppression especially First Article tests. I'll let you add narrative as you see fit.....

Amazing what a shaped charge will do inside an Abrahams when it ignites a non hardened fuel cell.

Rabbits are expendable.... I like mine well done but not seasoned with fuel.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I'll play Sargent Schultz again...... I know notttttthing.

My wife specialized in Fire suppression especially First Article tests. I'll let you add narrative as you see fit.....

Amazing what a shaped charge will do inside an Abrahams when it ignites a non hardened fuel cell.

Rabbits are expendable.... I like mine well done but not seasoned with fuel.
there's a film clip out there that shows an M1 turret mounted on a stand alone fixture, and being shot with a 5" naval gun using APC in a side shot. The folks pointed out how well the turret held together without penetrating the inside. (newer M1a1 and M1a2's are even better) But it also was rather obvious that they never realized the "jello factor!" No one inside there would have survived the concussion! The burn your referring to was probably the case less ammo. One round out of the blast container is all it takes to cremate an entire crew. There's a new main gun design that completely eliminates this issue, but seems to be stalled out.
gary
Old 09-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Lets just say I understand they are a bit soft on the lower sides. You already know what the government uses for suppression and probably the optic trigger as well. As I understand it, full suppression is within 1/100th of a second (per TACOM specification). Problem is, the hardware survives, the occupants don't.

Was nice of the government to declare the suppression substance a controlled commodity, remove it from general use as a suppression agent and then adopt it as the ultimate suppression agent (which it is).

Not familiar with the turret, only the systems my wife had control and sign off over and even that is very vague. You don't get security clearances by having diarrhea of the mouth.

There are things I don't want to know and I'll never ask anyway. Sometime, ask me about the M14 Cartridge magazine fiasco (thats unclassified).

Asd usual, we hyave taken this thread completely off topic....