Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Enlarging Win M70 Mag box?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Re: Enlarging Win M70 Mag box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
If you're up to it, you may be able to shorten the existing bolt stop. You don't need a mill, a Nicholson 10" mill bastard file will work just fine, sometimes slower is better. I took a quick look at post'64 .25-06 yesterday, didn't do any measuring, but if your rifle was a job in my shop thats where I would start. All that bolt nose needs to do is clear the back of the mag box enough to pick-up the next round. Have you checked your proposed O.A.L. to be sure it will fit in the box with the block removed?
From cycling plenty of rounds through it yesterday I did notice that ther is a small problem extracting, it seems that the extractor blade needs to be shortened abit for the shell to be able to come up to where the bolt will pick it up. Now as far as the bolt stop that seems ok but I will be checking it properly, as I have ordered the bolt stop and extractor blade for the 375H&H, 300 weatherby, so when they arrive i will install them and see how that functions. My bullets fit just fine in the mag and touching the lands with about .100" left to spare.
Thank you
Elmer