Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

EGW mount shows gap after installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: EGW mount shows gap after installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I was shocked at how much variance there is in the outside of an action, after putting a couple in a lathe and checking them out it is no wonder bases won't stay tight without bedding.
This is very true. But when it fits on one side (left or right) and not the other, I am suspicious it is not the action but rather a problem in the machining process or with the soft material of the base that has bent in the process.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Silver Member

Give EGW a call and see what they say about your problem with base
Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Very good advice by 'Broz' and 'bigngreen'.

I would add: While the bedding epoxy is wet and not set up, the idea is to lightly torque the base screws down until the base just makes contact with the top of the receiver, so that when the bedding glue sets up, it fills any voids from uneven contact. You don't want to overly tighten down on these base screws, deform the rail to fit any unevenness on the top of the receiver, and squeeze out all of the epoxy bedding compound.

Then - only after the JB weld sets up 24-48 hours - torque down the 4 base screws to final torque.

PS: Place a straight edge along each side of the one-piece rail and make sure it's running parallel to your barrel - not pointing leftward or rightward along the length of the barrel - before letting the bedding epoxy set up. That way your rifle won't shoot curve balls/bullets... seriously...

I use EGW one-piece rails on my Tikka T-3 Lites, but those receiver tops are perfectly flat the full length of the receiver, and the flats of the EGW bases fit on these flat top receivers like a glove. Never used an EGW on a round or oval topped receiver, but if the top of the rail is reasonably flat after your epoxy bedding sets up, I'd mount the scope and go for it.

Last edited by phorwath; 08-18-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Bronze Member

Great advice everyone. I will start the epoxy job this afternoon. I don't have any floor wax or shoe polish, but have some bow string wax. Would this suffice or would it be best to get some polish? Also, which JB Weld would be best (Kwik or standard)? Thanks for all the help.

SAPPER26
Old 08-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

Use the standard JB weld. Not the quick set. The standard bonds better, and has better strength, IMO.

I know some guys that don't use any wax or release agent. They just let the epoxy set to both receiver and scope base. It'll come off of there with a little heat later on - if necessary.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

I don't use release on the action or base, If you ever need to remove the base, just remove the screws and smack with a plastic mallet.

Grease your screws when bedding the base that way you can remove them after the epoxy sets, degrease the threads and holes then blue loktite and reinstal screws

As was mentioned when bedding the base just make light metal to metal contact with one screw in the front ring and one in back usually the middle 2 work the best. Your not trying to squeeze all the glue out, but make a gasket so as to not stress the reciever or base.

The problem with the bases not setting flat on the action is usually the actions fault. After machining the actions are hand polished on a wheel to remove tool marks, and that usually makes the back of the action "tail off" causing the poor fit.