Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

EGW mount shows gap after installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Bronze Member

EGW mount shows gap after installation

I just purchased an EGW tactical mount for my Remington 700 SA in .308. After installing it with blue Loctite on the threads of the screws, I noticed I can see a gap when held up to light on the ejection (right hand) port side. The front part of the base seems flush with the rifle's receiver along with the very back part, but the front right side on the back portion of the base (if that makes sense) isn't flush. Torqued to specs and then some. Everything else seems solid and snug. Will this affect the accuracy and reliability of the rifle? Should I send this back to the manufacurer? Thanks for the help.

SAPPER26
Old 08-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: EGW mount shows gap after installation

Sounds like the ones I have gotten from them. I stopped using them long ago. I woul advise you to put a straight edge on top the rail too. If the rail is like the ones I had, it will be crooked as a dogs hind leg. This will transfer uneven pressure to your scope tube which I believe will give you adverse results and could result in scope damage. If the top is true when it is tightened down, then you could probably use this base if you epoxy bedded it to your action.

I now use Nightforce, Near or Ken Ferrel, well worth the extra money spent.

Jeff
Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Bronze Member

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. I just checked with a straight edge. There is a very thin gap on the left side in the center of the base. The gap would be less than the thickness of one piece of paper. If this would be acceptable, what epoxy would you recommend that could be taken off in the future without damage to the receiver? Will be getting a Nightforce for my 300 RUM. Thanks.

SAPPER26
Old 08-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

I use Devcon and use a release agent like floor wax or kiwi shoe polish on the reciever. I have also used JB weld for small jobs like this too. After the epoxy is in place, try to snug the mounting screws down evenly and keeping the top of the mount flat and square. Then let it set over night and do your final tightening of the screws in the morning.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks. I'll try some JB weld, should only take a few drops. It just wouldn't feel right to leave it alone. Any gap between the receiver and base would leave room for doubt.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPPER26 View Post
Thanks. I'll try some JB weld, should only take a few drops. It just wouldn't feel right to leave it alone. Any gap between the receiver and base would leave room for doubt.
I feel the same way. Those 4 little #6 screws are not where the holding strength one from. It needs to be a good , solid, full contact of both mating surfaces.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

I use the EGW bases, mostly because of economics but I do just what Broz suggested. I goop them up and use shoe polish on the action, lube up the screws and snug them up to 10 in-lbs and clean all the ooze of and when dry I make sure the screws aren't stuck then I torque them down to spec.

I was shocked at how much variance there is in the outside of an action, after putting a couple in a lathe and checking them out it is no wonder bases won't stay tight without bedding.