Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Do It Yur Self Barrel Instalation????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieHarren View Post
Capn C, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass but the part about," a reamer that could be turned in the chamber, while the bolt is closed", kinda threw me. If you are talking about a "Pull through" reamer, the bolt will not be closed.
Yeah, I short cut what the ad in the Midway catolog said...you turn the reamer until the bolt closes. Then it should have the proper head space.

I looked at the cost and it would be more to "do-it-yur-self" than to pay someone buy the time you bought everything you needed. I just though it would be cool to do all the work myself.

I mentioned in my first post that the action would a military mauser (but not that it would be a M-48). I'm not really looking for it to shoot bug holes, but if it did that would be ok too.

I bought serval old mausers when they were cheap and I'm down to the last one. I started to leave it 8mm and use it as a hog gun, but how many hogs guns do you need???

I guess I'm just looking to build one more gun for the kids to fight over after I'm gone (only 48 right now...might be a while).
Old 02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

If the cost doesn't throw you off by all means do it. As Rustystud said their are several barrels available short chambered and threaded for you to use. If you have accesses to a lathe you can use any barrel blank you want, plus once you have the tools you can use them on other rifles, build one gun for each of the kids then they have something made by you it means more to them, if their around have them help, my grandson helped chamber his first hunting rifle with me at 11 yr's old.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:29 PM

Rechambering

I have a Winchester Model 70 pre war rifle with a 26" SS barrel chambered in 240 Gibbs. I would like to have this rifle rechambered to a Remington 6MM . Can you refer me to a gunsmith (preferably in the N.E.) that can do the work in that price range ?