Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Do It Yur Self Barrel Instalation????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
Do It Yur Self Barrel Instalation????

Is it worth the effort to buy a pre-chambered/threaded barrel and a finish reamer to do your own barrel installation?

Midway sells finish reamer that you can turn while the reamer is in the chamber and the bolt closed. Sounded pretty simple if you don't cut too much out of the chamber.

Anyway is it worth it?

Or would you be just as well off letting a smith do it?????

BTW-this would be on a military mauser action...
Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Gold Member

Is this a trick question?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieHarren View Post
Is this a trick question?
It wasn't supposed to be...but without a reply so far....I guess so.

I am a bit of a do-it-yer-selfer and just thought I would ask seeing how this was a gunsmithing section...

sorry to have bothered...
Old 02-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Captn C

I guess it depends on exactly what your looking to accomplish.

If your looking to put together a top of the line, tack driving, shooting implement, I'd let a qualified smith handle it. Also if you're just trying to save a few bucks, don't, let someone that knows what they're doing handle it

However, since you're a self described do-it-yourselfer and if you're looking to do it for the learning expeience then give it a whirl. It could turn out to be worth it.

But keep in mind things can go bad in a hurry. Like you I'm a bit of a do it yourselfer, and I've put together some nice looking, decent shooting firearms, but I've twisted and cracked the tang on a $280 Savage action by applying more muscle than brains, and I've buggered up the threads on a $325 Pac Nor barrel by not taking my time and thinking things through. Learned something both times, but they were pricey lessons.:o

Hope this helps some

Chris
Old 02-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

You didn't mention what type of rifle you are working on, some like Savage are no problem, you probably have the tools you will need already, you will need a head space gage either way. If its one of the others you need a action wrench and a barrel vise as well as the head space gages.
Take your time when chambering and keep the reamer oiled, check head space often. Brownell's sells a few books on the subject that might help.
Their are other thing involved in setting up a tack driver including squaring up the action face, lapping locking lugs, and bolt face, pillar bedding stock, etc...
THE COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO PRECISION RIFLE BARREL FITTING at Brownells this book is one recommended to the gunsmith apprentices and covers most of what needs to be done.
Good luck
Old 02-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Gold Member

Capn C, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass but the part about," a reamer that could be turned in the chamber, while the bolt is closed", kinda threw me. If you are talking about a "Pull through" reamer, the bolt will not be closed.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

Short Chambered rifles

There was an article about this about a year ago in Shooting Times.

For the cost of reamer ($95.00 t0 $152.00), gauges ($75.00), barrel vice ($50.00- $200.00), action wrench ($25.00 - $200.00) and some time you can make a shootable rifle.

But not using a Kreiger, Bartlein, Broughton, Lilja, Chanlynn, RockCreek, etc., quality barrel. All these barrels will cost with in $20.00 of each other.

I believe Adam and Bennett, Pacnor, ER Shaw, Shilen, Douglas, and Lowthar Walther offer short cut or prefit barrels.

I believe you get what you pay for, both barrels and gunsmithing services.

A reasonable price for custom chambering a barrel, including cutting, turning, threading, chambering, headspacing, crowning, test firing, and engraving chambering/smith/neck dia is going to cost you between $150.00 and $250, depending on the quality of work done.

Rustystud