Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Do you Loktite your bases?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Do you Loktite your bases?

I don't use loctite on the base screws. Clean and tight has worked for me. However, I have had an infrequent case of action screws working loose. I used to race go-carts and we used red spray paint on bolts and screws that tended to vibrate loose. Worked then and has worked on the action screws. Spray it on the threaded part of the screw, give it a minute, screw it in and leave it overnite. On little screws, spray a little paint into the cap, dip a toothpick in it and touch the threads. Some will flow over onto them. Seems to stop screws from vibrating loose and still can be unscrewed without any trauma. I don't always have the right loctite, but I always have some red spray paint.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 04-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Boss,

What happens to the paste was in the receiver threads? Is this a concern in that you're not using a threadlocker compound of some type here?

So, the JB comes off with some heat? What kind of heat?

What do you think about using a single layer of approx 400 grit paper, grit up, wrapped tightly around the receiver and gently moving the rail back and forth over the reciever (forwards and backwards) until about 1/2 the mating surface on the rail is a little scuffed up to give it a more custom fit before installation due to possible (likely) machining errors on the mating surfaces of receiver and rail? That's another thing M.L. mentioned that I've done a couple of times.

Interesting procedure. Might try it some time if I can get my head around the above answers to my questions. Or, buy a BAT action with the rail machined into that action already!
The paste wax in the threads are of no concern because the screws are now only doing a fractional part of work they previously did. DO not over tighten them..

If you have to remove the bases I use a torch or you can use a iron just takes a long time but apply heat to the base just enough to make the adhesive let go---then heat the tip of a screwdriver to gently remove the material on the reciever and bases that remains. In fact my BAT repeaters have the one piece bases put on this way.

You do not want the surface completely smooth-----bad idea because there is less surface area for the adhesive to adhere to--think about it.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post

You do not want the surface completely smooth-----bad idea because there is less surface area for the adhesive to adhere to--think about it.
Got it, and thank you, but not sure what you mean by above. I wasn't advocating smoothing anything.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl