Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

dial indicator help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Gold Member

Re: dial indicator help

Looking good Richard, happy for you. I saw on another site where Gordy posted the catalog numbers of exactly what he uses for his indicator set up. They are all MSC numbers.

06249411 Mitotoyu dial test indicator kit
06445464 1 1/2" long indicator tip (.080" diameter which seems to work the best for dialing in bores)
99046633 2 3/4" long indicator tip
09560376 NOGA magnetic base/indicator holder
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks all!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Now that is motivation of the best kind!! Can't wait the see some work in progress pics.

I have a few indicators but all cheap ones for work except the one I use for guns which is only a .0005 but I use it short while waiting to pic up a high end .0001 I really like my Noga base and holder, I can get it into position easily and not fumble farting around!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Now that is motivation of the best kind!! Can't wait the see some work in progress pics.

I have a few indicators but all cheap ones for work except the one I use for guns which is only a .0005 but I use it short while waiting to pic up a high end .0001 I really like my Noga base and holder, I can get it into position easily and not fumble farting around!
I have a .0001" Interrapid, plus about a half dozen others in that range. The Interrapid in .0001" is extremely touchy, but is deadly accurate. Yet the .0005" is very forgiving. The Brown & Sharpe Best Test is very similar to the Interrapid in design and quality. I see no advantage with the .080" tip on the wand unless your doing extremely small holes. Personally I would drag out one of my Federal .000050" indicators if I had to be .0001" or less. But that's just my methodology. Now an Interrapid indicator is expensive (about $180), and will spoil you very quickly! Have no idea about the cost of the B&S, but have used many of them over the years. The Federals are pretty good as well, but the other two are a little better due to the zero lag feature.
gary
Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

Good info. Thanks Gary, et. al.

I'm way over budget for this hobby/addiction. And, have several projects I'm ready to dive into.

I suppose I need to spend a little more on at least one good indicator. I have plenty of cheap ones (.0005" and .0001"). But, cheap stuff always ends up costing more. So, I guess I'll take my time and make the tools that I can such as the jigs.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Good info. Thanks Gary, et. al.

I'm way over budget for this hobby/addiction. And, have several projects I'm ready to dive into.

I suppose I need to spend a little more on at least one good indicator. I have plenty of cheap ones (.0005" and .0001"). But, cheap stuff always ends up costing more. So, I guess I'll take my time and make the tools that I can such as the jigs.

Thanks!
Richard
The average Joe can get by most of the time with a B&S "Last Word." But if your working at less than .0005" you need a good indicator. Most all indicators are designed to be in one position and not moved. When you rotate a dial indicator you add built in lag (nature of the beast). Some are as high as 10% and some are less than 3%. The Interrapid and the Best Test are true zero lag indicators, so you can safely turn them upside down and rely on the reading you see. I probably own thirty or forty dial indicators in one form or another (cigar boxes full of them). But when I used to work very close it was always the Interrapids, or a pair of very special one tenth dial indicators (fully jewelled 3% gear & rack jobs that only had ten thousandths travel). The .000050" indicators started out as a joke on me, but they did have their uses. I did have three .000020" indicators that were extremely accurate, and were used to check surface plates (I sent them back to Federal once a year for cleaning and rebuilding). If you keep the indicator in a static position most all will do the job well as long as they meet Federal specs. Do avoid the Chinese ones! But Mitutoyos are not all that bad.
gary
Old 04-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The .000050" indicators started out as a joke on me, but they did have their uses. I did have three .000020" indicators that were extremely accurate
... and I thought .000050" was a typo!

In any case, I don't have customers to please. So as long as I'm paying attention to all the safety issues, I don't have to achieve perfection day 1.

Thanks!
Richard