close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Reply

Deliberately throating a match barrel long

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 449
Deliberately throating a match barrel long

Hi guys. I will be re-barreling my 300Rum with a 31+" Broughten 5C 12.4 heavy palma 9 twist in a couple of months as well as blueprinting the receiver and bolt. Found my smith for the job, he seems more than qualified. I will be setting this up to run the 230 Hybrid Targets. Here is my question:

I want some feedback on the 'idea' of deliberately throating the chamber .25-.5" longer than a standard chamber with a match reamer that would allow say .0005-.001" bullet side clearance in the throat portion. I'm sure it would lend itself to very nice velocity above a standard chambering but my question and concern is would I be giving up any accuracy even with the very tight throat? With .0005-.001" throat clearance the bullet should still start out lined up with the rifling straight right? Would the heavy hybrid put up with this kind of jump without giving up any accuracy? I do have a Wyatt's box it my 700 now and it measure right around 3.860". I will probably keep it magazine feedable, so yes that's a lot of jump. I am going all out on this build looking for max accuracy, if I would need to sacrifice accuracy in any way I will not do it. Does anyone have experience with setting up a chamber this way and what kind results did you get? (Accuracy, velocity, ES, pressure, ect)

P.S. I know a guy that built a 7STW with 1" of freebore along with a special i.d. bore and claims to have been able to run 3600fps with a 175 grain gameking with .5MOA accuracy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 01-31-2013, 08:09 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,926
    Re: Deliberately throating a match barrel long

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Hi guys. I will be re-barreling my 300Rum with a 31+" Broughten 5C 12.4 heavy palma 9 twist in a couple of months as well as blueprinting the receiver and bolt. Found my smith for the job, he seems more than qualified. I will be setting this up to run the 230 Hybrid Targets. Here is my question:

    I want some feedback on the 'idea' of deliberately throating the chamber .25-.5" longer than a standard chamber with a match reamer that would allow say .0005-.001" bullet side clearance in the throat portion. I'm sure it would lend itself to very nice velocity above a standard chambering but my question and concern is would I be giving up any accuracy even with the very tight throat? With .0005-.001" throat clearance the bullet should still start out lined up with the rifling straight right? Would the heavy hybrid put up with this kind of jump without giving up any accuracy? I do have a Wyatt's box it my 700 now and it measure right around 3.860". I will probably keep it magazine feedable, so yes that's a lot of jump. I am going all out on this build looking for max accuracy, if I would need to sacrifice accuracy in any way I will not do it. Does anyone have experience with setting up a chamber this way and what kind results did you get? (Accuracy, velocity, ES, pressure, ect)

    P.S. I know a guy that built a 7STW with 1" of freebore along with a special i.d. bore and claims to have been able to run 3600fps with a 175 grain gameking with .5MOA accuracy.

    Freebore is not a bad thing like some think If the correct chamber and head space are used.

    However , there is a point that you reach of diminishing returns. you will lose accuracy at the
    cost of velocity.

    Freebore should be bullet diameter so the bullet stays in alignment with the lands as it engraves
    before it completly leaves the case mouth never allowing the bullet to be uncontrolled.

    The length of the freebore however, is a source of major controversy and will never be totally
    agreed on. the one thing that can be agreed on about Freebore is that not enough can cause
    pressure early (Less powder) and lots of freebore can and does increase velocity.

    All of the "NEW" high pressure/velocity cartriges have generous amounts of freebore.

    How much is to much is still up for debate, But allowing the bullet to be uncontrolled at starting
    velocities and durring the engraving process would be to much In my opinion.

    Weatherbys are known for there velocities with factory ammo and on the larger cartriges they
    have any where from .300 to .750 freebore. and if you re-chamber with less freebore you will
    not be able to use factory ammo in the Weatherby chambering because of pressure.

    The people that design cartriges knew what they doing and were trying to get the most of there
    cartrige safely and redesigning a cartrige should be intered into with great caution.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 01-31-2013, 08:32 AM
    Edd Edd is offline
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Tulsa
    Posts: 2,086
    Re: Deliberately throating a match barrel long

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    How much is to much is still up for debate, But allowing the bullet to be uncontrolled at starting velocities and durring the engraving process would be to much In my opinion.
    What do you mean when you say "allowing bullet to be uncontrolled"?
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,926
    Re: Deliberately throating a match barrel long

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    What do you mean when you say "allowing bullet to be uncontrolled"?
    If the bullet can leave the neck before it reaches the lands it is not controled by the case or the rifling
    and may engrave poorly'

    Ideally the body of the bullet is long enough to engage the rifling while it is still in the neck.

    One of the reasons that secant ogive bullets can give you problems if not properly set up is
    that they typically have shorter bodies and if they are seated out to far this is one of the problems.

    Look at the bullet you intend to use and then do your calculations for throat dimensions
    based on mag length. bullet engagement desired and cartrige overall length and bullet jump
    to lands.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 01-31-2013, 03:29 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Tillamook, Oregon
    Posts: 449
    Re: Deliberately throating a match barrel long

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    If the bullet can leave the neck before it reaches the lands it is not controled by the case or the rifling
    and may engrave poorly'

    Ideally the body of the bullet is long enough to engage the rifling while it is still in the neck.

    One of the reasons that secant ogive bullets can give you problems if not properly set up is
    that they typically have shorter bodies and if they are seated out to far this is one of the problems.

    Look at the bullet you intend to use and then do your calculations for throat dimensions
    based on mag length. bullet engagement desired and cartrige overall length and bullet jump
    to lands.

    J E CUSTOM
    Makes total sense to me. So I would really want a zero clearance fit between the bullet and the so called "free bore" section in front of the rifling. So with the bullet needing to travel through say .5" of this zero tolerance free bore zone before it starts engaging the rifling it should be perfectly centered up to enter the rifling straight right? What could be induced in a match chamber set up this way that would cause a loss of accuracy in and of itself? Sorry if I seem difficult, I just want to get the best answers I can so I can make a good decision. I really don't want to expiriment on this if someone else has done it and made it work with no loss of accuracy.
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
    Edd Edd is offline
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Tulsa
    Posts: 2,086
    Re: Deliberately throating a match barrel long

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    Ideally the body of the bullet is long enough to engage the rifling while it is still in the neck.
    I don't understand this part.

    Why does the bullet need to engage the rifling before it clears the neck?
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 01-31-2013, 04:51 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
    Posts: 6,068
    Re: Deliberately throating a match barrel long

    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I don't understand this part.

    Why does the bullet need to engage the rifling before it clears the neck?
    Because the throat/freebore area is a larger diameter than the bullet. If the bullet leaves the neck before engaging the lands, it is essentially floating uncontrolled and might "wobble", entering the lands slightly cocked.
    __________________
    - Mark

    You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
    ~ John Quincy Adams
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC