Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Deer Rifle looking to become a project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

Deer Rifle looking to become a project

I have a Smith and Wesson 1500 270 Win sitting in the gun cabinet that I do not do anything with any more. It really is not that accurate in the first place but have been thinking of rebarreling it, accurizing it and turning it into something I might use more.

Anybody know anything about these rifles?

I already have 308, 300WM, 338 Lapua and have been thinking of changing the cartrige to something a little more fun. Like going to 6.5mm or 6mm.

Anybody have any ideas of a round that might use the same case but have some smoken fast muzzle velocities? Just trying to get ideas for making this into a rifle that would be good for smaller game maybe upto california size deer/antelope.

SES
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

25-06....6-06. either of these will stir up the air!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

i have the mossberg 1500 its the same rifle as yours it was made by howa of japan there pretty good guns you should be able to get a good rig out of it

JIM
Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

Dave,

I figured there was something like that but I did not know if there was a wildcat out there that really kicked butt for long range stuff.

Dead,

I have started looking for info on this rifle and have come up a little short. It seams like a decent rifle that could be built into something a lot better. That is good to know now that other people have heard of it. Do you know if I can get an aftermarket trigger for it? Is there any gunsmiths in paticular that might have experience with these? Am I stuck with the 06 case or is there enough meat on the bolt to open the face up to a hotter small caliber round?

Now you have really caught my interest since someone knows the rifle. I need more information!

SES
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

6.5 Gibbs!!! That oughta fill the biil for smokin' hot with little bullets and bigger game with the bigger bullets. That way you don't need to worry about the bolt face. Or maybe a 240 Gibbs or similar 6/6.5-06 improved version.

About the trigger; I am pretty sure the 1500 is the same as the Interarms MarkX (ask a gunsmith first) and my Interarms has a Jewel trigger on it.
However, same as you my gun is miserably inacurate, takes three shots to hit the ground, so it's going to be a project gun also.

Good luck with the build.

Last edited by blackco; 09-20-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackco View Post
6.5 Gibbs!!! That oughta fill the biil for smokin' hot with little bullets and bigger game with the bigger bullets. That way you don't need to worry about the bolt face. Or maybe a 240 Gibbs or similar 6/6.5-06 improved version.

About the trigger; I am pretty sure the 1500 is the same as the Interarms MarkX (ask a gunsmith first) and my Interarms has a Jewel trigger on it.
However, same as you my gun is miserably inacurate, takes three shots to hit the ground, so it's going to be a project gun also.

Good luck with the build.
So is the only difference between the 6.5 Gibbs and the 6.5-06 that the shoulder angle is changed? With that angle change how much velocity extra velocity do you get?

I saw today that Sierra makes a 6.5 bullet in 155 Grain. That is the bullet I want. Smaller diameter than the 270 Win but a heavier bullet than what I have been using. I am thinking a 28" long barrel. If I was going to order a barrel what twist rate would I want with that bullet?

I looked up Hart and Pac-Nor so far. Anyone have a preference here or better experience with one or the other?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

SES im not 100% but anything that fits a howa or weaterby vanguard should fit your 1500
you should have a pretty good selection of after market parts to chose from
bases will be the same as the remington 700 so thats not a issue

JIM