Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Cutting dovetails, how hard can it be...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cutting dovetails, how hard can it be...

Gary.... Technology has changed. Syn-Flex is a better alternative, much better. Plus the smaller diameter will withstand 200 psi without failure.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
Gary, I didn't buy this mill and I don't own one so this is not my machine. It belongs to local college where precision machining and tool making are taught, so whenever I stop buy and see this mill available I have a permission to work on my little projects and believe me this one is the best they got from 7 other Bridgeports, at least this one got DRO with CNC Retrofit controller... I just don't understand when people pay high price to learn machining and have to work on the wrecks as such...
they are probably using a Prototrac. Most come with roll thread screws, but there is (or was) a precision ground screw option with the kit. Shame they have not repaired the lube system, as that's killing the machine.
gary
Old 04-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Gary.... Technology has changed. Syn-Flex is a better alternative, much better. Plus the smaller diameter will withstand 200 psi without failure.
I know what that is, and it's good stuff. But the Nylicoil has a higher burst pressure, and seems to be a little more resistent to breaking open. But on the otherhand Synflex (think Parker sells it) is a little more flexable. Nylicoil will handle 1200 psi in the small diameters (1/8" & 5/32"). Either one will work fine, but I'll always go with the Nylicoil with a choice. If you can find them, there is a French made slip fitting that is good for 400 psi (name escapes me at the moment), and these are really nice for working with small diameter tubing. I rebuilt several Monarch HMC's with Nylicoil in the lube system that had an operating pressure of over 400psi. The only think I used out of steel was where the hot chips would get onto it. I was very leary about using it, but Neff Engineering ask me to try it. Nylicoil is one of the few materials that will normally be stronger than the fittings used with it.
gary
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

Yes Gary, that's an old Prototrak design to work with tape recorder... Anyhow, now I can call this project completed, I think problem what I encountered was combination of faulty equipment and bad tooling, but here is tool holder I made so far...