Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Custom throating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

Custom throating

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to a custom throat?

If you were to custom throat, how would you select a COAL?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom throating

I don't want to misrepresent myself, I am also an amature when you look many of the guys on this site, but I'll reply and tell ya what I know (think) ;)

If you are trying to develope a rifle for a certain use/ bullet and want to maximize the powder capacity of the cartidge and also have it so you can seat bullets to the desired distance from your lands than custom throughting is the way to go. take a 260 rem and a 142gr smk for instance: if you simply seat the bullet in a case to chamber in a factory chamber than you will have to seat the bullet way into the case reducing the capacity for powder and slowing your round down. On the other hand if you have a short action rifle and you want to shoot this round, you may want to think about the lenght of your magazine if you inted to make a repeater. I hope to someday make a 260 throughted for a 139 or 142gr pill out of a long action rem 700.

Another case in point: If you intend to make a 300wsm into a dedicated varmint rifle shooting a 135gr smk bullet, than you may want the trought set so you can seat the short bullet in the case comfortably and still have it almost touch the lands for a accurate load. (I can't imagine myself ever doing this, but I am sure it has been done).

If you are pretty sure that you want to use a certain bullet than I would go to the gunsmith with a caseing of your caliber w/o powder or primer and a bullet seated to your desired depth and talk with him/her to find out what the optimal distance to ogive will be for your inteded use. At least that is what I intend to do when I make my custom (some day lol).

Good luck!
Mark.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

I have a custom .223 reamer with a shorter throat, so short bullets can reach the lands.

I have a 45acp throater reamer, for throating in a separate step, with custom tight chambers.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

PT&G Piloted reamers cost me $152.00 to my door. They cut a specific throat depth depending on how they are ground. Remember it is easier to remove metal than put it back. A piloted PT&G throating reamer cost $69.00 to my door. With a short throated reamer one can use a throating reamer and custom cut their throats to any depth desired. It is as simple as that.

Rustystud
Old 12-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

The other advantage to a custom reamer is that the throat will be much tighter than on most any factory chamber.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 AM
Silver Member

I am well aware of that I chamber about 300 barrels per year. I have 1.5 degree throating reamers for 22, 6mm, 6.5, 7mm, and 30 cal.

I buy all my reamers with throats .0005 over bore diam Factory chambers are .001 to .0025 over bore diameter. I buy all my reamers with short throats and custom cut them to the desired depth.

Nat Lambeth
Old 12-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

Im sure you are aware of that Nat,but last I looked you werent the one asking the question at the top of the thread.