Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Custom Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 06:08 PM

Custom Rifles

Ok guys !

What is the average or normal timescale for a totally custom rifles build, including a stock from "McLate". the reason I ask, is that a friend of mine has a rifle being built by an un- named riflesmith who I dont think is bullsitting him but is getting some flak. so anyone who has had a rifle built from scratch can you post your real delvery times and any " hiccups" you encontered on the path to delivery.
I already know of at least two guys who have a rifle running about 20 weeks late because of "stock" sourcing issues is this an acceptable practice due to military orders or not ???

All the best

Murph [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Last edited by edited by; 05-04-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Custom Rifles

Took me a little over 1 year. Had to wait for an action from PGW.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

i've been waiting on my 300 win mag 16 months its getting teflon coated right now so i should have it in a couple of weeks. I did tell my smith there was no rush . the stock from mcmillian did take about 6 months to get
Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

It really depends on the smith and availability of parts as you are finding out.

I like to gather my parts first, especially hard to get ones such as action, barrels and stocks and then go to the smith. At that stage most reputable smiths will give you an accurate timetable on completion.

I have seen it from as little as two weeks to 6 months.

Several good smiths here and go to www.6mmbr.com and look at the recommended smiths there also. Most of those have also been building LR guns for years and are topnotch and reputable.

BH
Old 06-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I tell my customers 6 to 8 months with a big disclaimer that it all depends on the componants getting in shop on time. STocks and receivers can set a project back that long on their own but this is the time frame I tell my customers and if there will be delays, I do my best to explain them to my customers as far as why, and for how long if possible.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
It really depends on the smith and availability of parts as you are finding out.

I like to gather my parts first, especially hard to get ones such as action, barrels and stocks and then go to the smith. At that stage most reputable smiths will give you an accurate timetable on completion.

I have seen it from as little as two weeks to 6 months.

Several good smiths here and go to www.6mmbr.com and look at the recommended smiths there also. Most of those have also been building LR guns for years and are topnotch and reputable.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

+1............. I like to have all the parts then send them off to the smith. Makes it easier for all parties.

JMO,
Frank D
Old 06-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Some of the bigger builders will actually have a few of the more popular McMillan stocks, custom barrels, and possibly even actions on hand. That sort of thing cuts down considerably on time delays. Once all the parts are on hand, the actual assembly of a bolt gun doesn't take all that long.

A small one-man shop, where the guy is doing everything from taking phone calls to ordering the parts, to actually doing the work... It's likely to be a while...