Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Custom Build on Sako 85

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom Build on Sako 85

Hapcustoms, thanks for the info. Since this thread was started, I had learned that the process is as you describe. My lathe doesn't have a brake, so I would cut a metric thread (if I had to), by disengaging the spindle drive and turning the chuck by hand. Crude, but within my skill level.

The term "racetracking" makes sense to me.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Hapcustoms, thanks for the info. Since this thread was started, I had learned that the process is as you describe. My lathe doesn't have a brake, so I would cut a metric thread (if I had to), by disengaging the spindle drive and turning the chuck by hand. Crude, but within my skill level.

The term "racetracking" makes sense to me.

Tom

Not a problem if you ever have any questions shoot me a PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

I am glad the OP got an accurate M85. I wasn't so lucky. After sending it back to Beretta twice with no satisfaction I did some of my own inspecting and found the M85 has whay I describe as a pathetic recoil lug system.

You can read about here. Pictures on page 3 of the thread.

No Recoil Lug - What say ye?

That rifle is currently at my smith getting a custom lug made. I will probably eventually replace the stock and rebarrel to a lighter cartridge.

I won't be buying any more Sakos or Beretta products based on my experience.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 PM

The other thing I do that makes a world of diff is make a Remington style recoil lug on it I just add the thickness to the thread extension..
Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
I have been lurking for a while and appreciate all the incredible information on these forums. Simply amazing!

I have a Sako 85 SS in .338 Federal. I love this gun and the chambering, but want to make it more accurate if possible. I would like to put a custom barrel on it and also completely tune the action like is done on Remington's and Winchester's.

My questions is whether or not this action is capable of being trued, lugs lapped, etc and make into an accurate 100-200 yd 1/2" gun. I don't see much said about blueprinting on these types of actions.

If it is possible, are there any smith's that have experience with this action and could make it a real shooter? I would like to stay with .338 Federal as I have a 7mm-08 already and want a large .338 rifle without breaking my shoulder when I shoot it.

Thanks!

I don't think that truing the sako action will be worth the effort they are a nice action and don't usually need to be messed about with like a remmy.
What accuracy are you currently getting from it and what kind of ranges are you planning on shooting?
Unless you need a faster/slower twist or are planning on shooting v long range you won't see a worthwhile benifit in a new barrel.
Shoot out the barrel you have then fit a custom tube and recoil lug.
Just my opinion.