Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Custom Barrel Bedding Blocks???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Custom Barrel Bedding Blocks???

Does anyone know who and where I may find some of varying designs??? I need one for a 1.25" barrel diameter. I'm working on a custom project and unfortunately I don't have a mill or even a lathe, even though I've had a year of machine shop in college. ;^( I sure would enjoy doing it myself if I had the equiptment.....then I can get exactly what I want. Oh well. Help me with some links please! :^)
Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Custom Barrel Bedding Blocks???

email Bruce Baer. google Baer custom rifles

He has those in his shop normally ready to go.

BH
Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
email Bruce Baer. google Baer custom rifles

He has those in his shop normally ready to go.

BH
I looked at his barrel block for the light gun, and although it looks perfect, it is still too big. I'm working with a CZ H.E.T. stock, which limits me quite a bit. CZ-USA -> CZ 550 MAGNUM H.E.T

I may just silver soldier or epoxy an "opened-up" Tubb Remington recoil lug on to my 1.25", 6" straight of my custom Heavy Palma contour, then steel bed that entire length including the extra Rem style lug, since the stock it almost too narrow for a bedding block. *Scratching head!*

Thanks, Jeff
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

He (Bruce) can make what you want pretty easy.

BH
Old 01-02-2011, 03:12 PM
SPONSOR

If you shoot me an e-mail with a brief description of length, width, height, through hole diameter and whether you want a solid epoxy block or split screw block I'll give you a price. I can make any size you want.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 01-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
He (Bruce) can make what you want pretty easy.

BH
After using the Search function that many of us forget to use, I found Brian Penley. I sent him an email, and within hours he responded. I told him the approximate size, which might be too small for what I am trying to accomplish, however I am in tight quarters with the CZ H.E.T. stock. He also told me that he could make just about anything that I might imagine.

I am patiently awaiting his response, then I may contact Bruce as he has been doing this forever.

I also plan on calling Kirby Allen, perhaps tomorrow, hoping to talk to him about my project. Kirby as we know is a great fella to work with and a supporter on this site; I just don't know about his current work load. Last that I heard, he was almost a year behind---good for him! Bad for me, LOL. His 'smithing work is exemplary as proven by all the awesome shooters that are on this site!!! PLUS I am leaning toward his .338 AX.

Time will tell as to if I use a block, or just bed the straight part of the barrel and the added Rem style lug. I am also taking PRICE into consideration, however I don't want to sacrifice accuracy in a custom rifle for only $300 or so.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cram View Post
If you shoot me an e-mail with a brief description of length, width, height, through hole diameter and whether you want a solid epoxy block or split screw block I'll give you a price. I can make any size you want.
Thanks Kevin. I'll forward you the exact same email that I sent Brian Penley, then you will get a more in-depth response to what I am trying to accomplish!

THANKS for stepping up!