Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

cost on installing barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 PM

cost on installing barrel

Can anybody give and idea of the cost of installing a pre threaded and short chambered barrel on a 700 remington. I want a 358 win. Being left handed the only option in a bolt action (which is what I want) short of a full custom is a prethreaded barrel on one of my actions. As I don't see a takeoff barrel because of the caliber bring an option. Thanks for any help with this matter . Rick

Old 09-30-2011, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: cost on installing barrel

Savage pre threaded and chambered barrels are pretty easy to install yourself, but a Remington is another matter. You will need a good vise and action wrench; also go and no go guages. If it is already threaded and chambered, you might need to cut the chamber a little deeper, and extend the threads. This work is best performed by a gunsmith.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Savage pre threaded and chambered barrels are pretty easy to install yourself, but a Remington is another matter. You will need a good vise and action wrench; also go and no go guages. If it is already threaded and chambered, you might need to cut the chamber a little deeper, and extend the threads. This work is best performed by a gunsmith.

+1
You are going to need a smith to do it .

I personally don't like pre threaded and short chambered barrels because the thread fit is
allways loose and the chambers are hare to clean up without setting the shoulder back.

If you are going to have a smith do it get a barrel and have him chamber it.

He should have all of the reamers and head space gauges and that will save you some money
plus the pre threaded and chambered barrels are more expensive.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

I'd estimate about $250 plus shipping would get your barrel blank threaded, chambered, headspaced, and test fired.

There could also be a reamer rental surcharge if they don't have this one.

Truing, bluing, bedding, etc.. would be extra.

Depending on the cartridge you currently have, you could run into feeding issues that might need to be addressed and possibly a bolt replacement if you're going from magnum to non-magnum.

-- richard
Old 10-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member

$150 to $200
Old 10-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Pac-Nor can true action and fit your barrel to your action for $300. For under $600 you can have it trued and barreled.

Hart Barrels also does it for around $650. I'm sure there are others.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.