Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Convert Marlin 1895G round to Octagon........Finished

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

Convert Marlin 1895G round to Octagon........Finished

FINISHED!!!!!!

Took me three hours to get the old barrel off. I didn't want to damage it and I simply could't stop it from turning in the barrel vise. So I cut a piece of HSS to fit in the rear sight dovetail and a piece pf flat bar stock on the flat where the magazine tube lives. A few hits on the action wrench handle with a rubber mallet, and BANG! It was off.....

The rest was easy. The octagon barrel I bought from Jon headspaced perfectly. Here's a few pictures, better pictures tomorrow........

I cut the barrel at 24", at first I wanted a 22" barrel, but at 24" I can always cut more later.

I used Willians "Fire Sights".....I have them on my 1894CB and I like em'......Crowned the barrel in the lathe and drilled a hole in the front sight cover for more light gathering....

The rear sight slipped right in...

The top of the receiver had a few nasty scratches and I never liked the look of the "flat-top" so I took a fike to it, bead blasted it and blued it.....

I think it looks good with the short magazine tube....

More Pictures Here............

http://public.fotki.com/Rberta...o-bang/marlin-1895g/
Old 03-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Convert Marlin 1895G round to Octagon........Finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
FINISHED!!!!!!

Took me three hours to get the old barrel off. I didn't want to damage it and I simply could't stop it from turning in the barrel vise. So I cut a piece of HSS to fit in the rear sight dovetail and a piece pf flat bar stock on the flat where the magazine tube lives. A few hits on the action wrench handle with a rubber mallet, and BANG! It was off.....

The rest was easy. The octagon barrel I bought from Jon headspaced perfectly. Here's a few pictures, better pictures tomorrow........

I cut the barrel at 24", at first I wanted a 22" barrel, but at 24" I can always cut more later.

I used Willians "Fire Sights".....I have them on my 1894CB and I like em'......Crowned the barrel in the lathe and drilled a hole in the front sight cover for more light gathering....

The rear sight slipped right in...

The top of the receiver had a few nasty scratches and I never liked the look of the "flat-top" so I took a fike to it, bead blasted it and blued it.....

I think it looks good with the short magazine tube....

More Pictures Here............

I like your build!! I mean really like it!

Years back there was a fellow in Indianapolis that used to take 336's and some other lever action rifles and rebuild them for a hefty price tag and a six month wait! His favorite combo was an octagon 30-30 improved with a full length magazine. Custom wood and sights. He did 45-70's and 30-30's mostly, but know of at least one .444. If memory is correct, the price tag was $2000 and you furnish a "core" for the build.
gary
Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Bronze Member

THANKS! I appreciate it. Took it to the range this morning and using some ten year old loads from my Shiloh Sharps I was perfect with wndage and 5" low at 50 yds. A few turns of the elevation screw and I shot a 3 shot group of 1.25".........STANDING!!!!!!!!! Damn, this thing handles nice!

Much better pictures have been posted

Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Bronze Member

I finished up this project yesterday...Wrote an article on my web site.....what do you think?

RVB Precision – Welcome to the world of ultra precision

"Marlin 1895G From Round to Octagon Barrel"

Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
I finished up this project yesterday...Wrote an article on my web site.....what do you think?

RVB Precision – Welcome to the world of ultra precision

"Marlin 1895G From Round to Octagon Barrel"

You'd love the rifles that Eric Woods built (last I heard is was in very bad health). I saw one 30-30 he did off a 336. Had custom walnut in an oiled finish (the same oil that Purdy uses). The stock was checkered (by hand of course) identically to the turn of the century Winchester presentation pattern. Tang sights with a spirit level front sight. Full length magazine on what looked like a 26" octagon barrel. His lever gun projects were more like a hobby to him, as he made is money from rebuilding big bore doubles like they use in Africa
gary
Old 03-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Very Nice---I have one almost identical except it has a half octogan half round CL tube with tang sights. Marlin did a good job putting mine together (nice wood as well) but the 45-70 kicks like a mule!!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Very Nice---I have one almost identical except it has a half octogan half round CL tube with tang sights. Marlin did a good job putting mine together (nice wood as well) but the 45-70 kicks like a mule!!
I shoot a .450 Guide Gun with the factory ported barrel. It's still shakes all your fillings loose!!
gary